For those who are anti-Union,

do you understand why Unions were and stillare important to the common worker? Did you know that before unions, children were used as cheap labor and frequently injuried do to this? The work week was whatever the company wanted? Pay was was whatever the company was "willing" to pay and frequently not a living wage? And so on?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:26 AM on Apr. 13, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Yep I understand why they were made and like everything else that got started for a good cause, it's just getting taken advantage of now. No I do not think they are a good idea.
    SheriSanchez

Answer by SheriSanchez at 11:29 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Without unions, companies will revert back to bad labor practices.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:31 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• The argument it wasn't a living wage is such BS, then don't take the job.
    SheriSanchez

Answer by SheriSanchez at 11:31 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• No because they will be governed by the government havn't you heard.
    SheriSanchez

Answer by SheriSanchez at 11:32 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• If they have such bad labor practices then no one will work for them and the people that do will be making the choice to do so under those circumstances.
    SheriSanchez

Answer by SheriSanchez at 11:33 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

Where you there? I have a family member who made $0.05 an hour before unions. And all jobs paid bad before unions.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:34 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• There are laws now to protect workers. Unions had their days, but many now are just a collection fund. To suggest that if unions were gone we would see a rise in child labor is ridiculous. Or that employers could / would violate the minimum wage laws? Really? I think you are stretching it anon.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:34 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• the government has made so many laws now that unions have out lived there uses. like kids can not work until the age of 16 and they are only a loud to work certain types of jobs and a certain amount of hours in a work week. also minum wage is set by the government also. of course there is also a lot of down side to the fact that the government has so much control.
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 11:34 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• My husband and I are both proud union members. :)
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 11:36 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I don't think companies would go back to the old ways. there are a lot of businesses out there that are not union and they haven't gone back. I understand the reason for unions, and I understnad how they would be a great help, but like sheri said they are being taken advantage of. If I personally owned a business, I would like to think that I would be a fair employer and wouldn't need a union. It would be my business and I wouldn't want other people to tell me how to run it.
    Minnesotamom

Answer by Minnesotamom at 11:37 AM on Apr. 13, 2009