how do u know if ur dialiting without going to doctor?

ashley_nick30

Asked by ashley_nick30 at 11:26 AM on Apr. 13, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Good question, I had three kids and one labor with them with three csectons. With my oldest I never felt myself dilating such that i knew it was happening down there. I know some women dilate to x degree of centimeters weeks before labor. I didn't dilate till my labor started.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:30 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• check your own cervix....that's about the only way to tell...
    busymamma503

Answer by busymamma503 at 11:30 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• You don't. You have to be checked, you don't feel it until the baby is in the canal and descending farther and farther down. The only way you can tell is if you attempt a self exam which still won't give you an accurate answer because your not trained to know what to look for.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 11:30 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I had no clue when I was dilating or even how far I was at any given point.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:33 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Some women choose to do a self exam (in which case, wash your hands thoroughly so as not to risk introducing bacteria to your cervix.) But honestly, dilation doesn't really mean anything. There are women who aren't even dilated a centimeter and they go into labor perfectly fine (and on their own, might I add). Checking for dilation is really just something that makes women feel better about their body's progression. ie "Yay! My cervix works!" But honestly, it doesn't make that much of a difference.
    littlemrsmarcel

Answer by littlemrsmarcel at 12:29 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I could not tell you bc I feel exactly the same from the last time I was at the doctors (last week) and I went from nothing to 4 cm!
    MrsPilat

Answer by MrsPilat at 3:24 PM on Apr. 13, 2009