Is your 13 yr old son or daughter having sex?

What would you do if you found out your 13 year old is having sex? Would you buy him the condom or would you be really pist? Do you really think your teen would tell you that they are having sex?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:32 AM on Apr. 13, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• i dont think theyd tell u unless u were really close...my mom and i were close and i satrted havin sex at 13 and i told her...and she was mad but instead she gave me protection...she said shed rather know i was being safe and getting it from her than hav to take me to the drs being preggo at 13. i did get preggo a few months later tho. either way. dont get mad thatll push him away and he could get in trouble. sit him down and talk to him about it and explain ur concerns and the possibilities and consequences. or hav ur SO do it. it may help a little.
    xhellxfirex495

Answer by xhellxfirex495 at 11:36 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I would be so p to put it mildly. but I have told my kids to tell me if any thing like that comes up. One did not and has not had a pregnancy so far, but that one was much much older - hs gradua - I'm lucky he waited til then but I saw s till sad and worried. Seven years later there's still no baby and I think no abortion. It's scary isn't it? My other two are girls, teens and older, and just involved with community and sports and not into cliques. I've had talks with my kids over time to use condoms with spermicide, worked well for hubby and me. I think boys tend to keep their sex lives well hidden especially early on like 13. i tell my kids to listen and think and then decide based on my experience and knowledge of life, their own wishes. Seeing as my son held off til late hs, I guess that way worked. He didn't feel forced by me to act or not act.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:41 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• My daughter is 14. First I would want to know who and when. I don't give her that much free time and certainly not that much freedom. Then I would be extremely pissed off that she did it knowing the risks. Then I would be heartbroken. That would be the part that would take me the longest to get over. I would be heartbroken for her future, for her heart, for her body, for her guilt. Yes, she would go on birthcontrol.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 2:16 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• My 13 year old son and I do talk about it. He has kissed a girl (his girlfriend), but no more then that. I tell him all the time having sex may end up with having a baby or twins like I have. He helps take care of his brothers and he knows it is a lot of work. It is great birth control! I don't have to buy condoms yet! LOL! When he does need them yes I will buy them for him. I told him I hope he waits till at least 18 before he does need them, but if he does need them before then to just ask. I will not get mad at him for I want him to tell me every thing if he needs to.

momfourboys

Answer by momfourboys at 3:18 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Give advice, protection (condoms), and support.
    Let the teen know that you do not approve.
    Overall there is nothing you can do about it.
    Honestly most teens do it and some decide to stop.
    You trying to resist what has become quite the norm will only result in your teen feeling like they need to lie or sneak around to avoid trouble or your anger.
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 3:21 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• See these sites to read real facts and rates

www.kff.org/youthhivstds/upload/U-S-Teen-Sexual-Activity-Fact-Sheet.pdf

http://www.guttmacher.org/pubs/fb_ATSRH.html
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 3:24 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• My son is almost 13 and there is no way he is having sex, he could care less about dating or anything like that. He still thinks girls are gross. Also, he is NOT allowed to date until he is 16, he has no business dating before that. I am open with my child and if and when he has sex, he will be provided condoms. We have had talks about responsibility and will revisit those talks as needed.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 6:09 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I had sex at 14, I told my mom about the first time and I promised I wouldn't do it again (or she would of told my dad) but I kept doing it and got pregnant at 15. (7 months later)
    MomAt15woah

Answer by MomAt15woah at 8:53 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I was 13 and I was having sex for all of the wrong reasons. I was miserable and looking for attention. If my child was having sex at that age, I would look for reasons why they felt the need to do it. Where were they when they had the privacy and time to do it??? At this age, with those hormones, allowing this behavior is asking for trouble. Express your deep concerns, start talking w/ them because I'm wondering if the sex talk has been minimal up until now, get them protection and minimize the time they would have to engage in sexual behavior. Their brains simply are not mature enough to fully realize their actions or their consequences. This is serious, you need to be fully engaged w/ your child.
    MotherofIreland

Answer by MotherofIreland at 10:30 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Well, when mine were 13 they didn't have any free time in which to HAVE sex so it was not an issue. Three of my sons were homeschooled at that age and they were either at home, at specific activities (sports and community based activities) or out with one or more of their brothers with them. My sons started school when they were 15 (two of them), 14 and almost 13 and by that time a strong moral foundation and open communication had been established between them and us. We homeschooled for educational reasons and not for religious ones and our sons were raised with a very open "open door" policy as far as talking about sex and anything else went. By the time my children started school they were past the peer pressure stage because they had learned to be strong individuals. HAD they been having sex at 13 and I'd have found out we would have made sure they had more structured time and less time to be out and about unsupervised.
    tracylynnr67

Answer by tracylynnr67 at 11:40 PM on Apr. 13, 2009