How can I get my daughter to sleep in her own bed. She refuses to do it.

bobbie23

Asked by bobbie23 at 11:36 AM on Apr. 13, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Put her in the room, make sure she can't get hurt and shut the door. Give her 10 to 15 minutes then check on her. Crack the door and check on her, if she is out of bed then put her back in saying its bed time now and then keep doing it until she stops. After the first time you go in you say nothing to her, just put her in bed and walk out. You do this until she learns she is sleeping in her bed.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 11:39 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• do a bedtime routine, explain we are reading this many books then it's bedtime. When your done with your routine simply kiss and hug her tell her good night, and leave. The more you talk or keep giving in the longer this will continue. I know it's hard but follow through. My son has been falling asleep on his bedroom floor because he sits there crying for a few minutes, but everyone including him gets better sleep when he sleep in his room.
    Willywonka06

Answer by Willywonka06 at 12:36 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I think the advice posted makes sense. However, if your daughter is like our son, he can cry for far longer than we can handle listening. We tried sitting in a chair in his room to keep him company but would leave if he didn't stay in his bed. If he got out, we'd leave a for a bit then, if he was still crying, we'd go back in and try again. As long as he was quiet, we didn't go back in. Eventually he got the idea and would play for a bit then crawl into bed and go to sleep. Just don't give up!
    Anonymous

• One other thought, once you've gone through you bedtime routine, make all other interactions as boring as possible. We just endlessly repeated "it's time to go night-night" and put him back in bed. Not drama, no discussion, just endless repetition. He eventually got bored and gave up.
    Anonymous

• my daughter did the same thing and then her doctor told me to just put her in her room and let her cry herself to sleep. if she fell asleep on the floor dont bother her just let her sleep there eventually she learned her bed was more comfortable then the floor!
    renee1986

Answer by renee1986 at 7:16 PM on Apr. 14, 2009