Teaching Sharing and Patience - 3 in June.

She will be 3 in June, I know it is common at this age but it can be embarrassing at times. What is the best method, or one that has worked for you, with these concepts?

AngelaMichelle

Asked by AngelaMichelle at 11:43 AM on Apr. 13, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My DS is also an only child. But he is usually good with sharing. ...remember that daycares can be very harsh. If your daughter is not sharing its probably a survival technique she had to adapt because of the childcare enviornment. Especially if it's a larger child care.
    But if you have playdates and have smaller social gatherings for her, and remind her that sharing is important and all that, she'll come around.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 11:57 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• lots of opportunity. The only way they will really learn is to be around other children their age a lot. This is the age when they learn their social skills. So being social right now is very important. If every time they have a little friend over you remind her that she will have to share or her friend will go home (or whatever you say) then she will learn to share MOST items MOST of the time.
    I have heard that it helps if you ask her if there is something she just doesnt want to share, and if there is you put it up while the guest is over so the guest doesnt know and your daughter still feels like she has something special. I've never had to do that, but i've heard it helps some children.
    I'm still working on patience with my son and he is 3yo and 3months. Just another one of those things where they need lots of opportunity.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 11:52 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• thanks for the advice. she is in daycare - has been since she was 3 mos, so i am not always there to guide her along so i only notice it on playdates. she also suffers from 'only child syndrome'. i still suffer from this lol!
    AngelaMichelle

Answer by AngelaMichelle at 11:54 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• thank you! that is an interesting perspective. i do see her gather all the toys and run to the corner, ie 'survival', i never put two and two together...
    AngelaMichelle

Answer by AngelaMichelle at 11:59 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• you shoulda started earlier than now...this is the kind of thing you teach from the beginning. my ds is 2 and knows how to share, and he goes to daycare.
    Anonymous

• We talk about it all the time and I point it out to her whenever it comes up in day to day life...
    Waiting our turn at the stop light
    Waiting our turn at the grocery store
    Sharing a special cookie treat at the store
    When you really stop to think about it, we share things and take turns all day long. We just don't think of it that way anymore.

Whenever she offers to share something with me, I except and thank her (even half eaten, slobbered on cookies... sigh). If she waits her turn at the park I praise her for being so patient and taking turns. If she has been hogging something and another child wants a turn, I tell her that it is someone else's turn now and help her hand over the toy, swing, whatever.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:18 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• thanks kaycee14. anon, not a new concept i just started to try. i should have been more clear that this only recently started and i do feel she may be picking it up at daycare, the more i think about it, or the age itself and something we will work through. i'll keep trying, thanks for all the advice!
    AngelaMichelle

Answer by AngelaMichelle at 12:34 PM on Apr. 13, 2009