Need Missouri vacation ideas

DH & I are taking a small weekend vacation in mid to late June to somewhere in Missouri but can't make up our minds where. So would love some new ideas.

We've been to Kansas City a couple times [was our honeymoon] & I went to Crown Center alot for work. NO Ozarks or St. Louis. NO camping. We like arts/culture/music, wine, shopping, antiquing. Up for almost anything else.

Any ideas?

redfairy41

Asked by redfairy41 at 12:01 PM on Apr. 13, 2009 in Travel

• Branson!
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 12:03 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I was going to say Branson, but I think that is part of the Ozarks. That and St Louis are the only places in MO I have been, but I loved Branson the most, there was a ton of stuff to do there, not all country stuff either.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 12:04 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Do you like to float on the river? Current River down by Ellisinore is a beautiful float trip. You can canoe or tube the river in various time framed trips. There are a few hotels there, so you do not have to camp. Otherwise, Cape Girardeau has Trail of Tears State Park, the Mississippi River, SE Missouri State University, shopping, etc..
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:07 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Parkville, Mo. is a small town that runs along the Mo. river has everything your looking for.
    haveahappyday

Answer by haveahappyday at 12:11 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Hubby says no to Branson-hates the place.
    redfairy41

Answer by redfairy41 at 7:34 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Hermann, beautiful countryside, wineries, B&B'S, I lived there for 3 yrs, I loved it... You can walk everywhere, they have the Mayfest every weekend in May. http://www.hermannmissouri.com/
    4x4mum

Answer by 4x4mum at 9:34 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• They have GREAT caves, but I forget which part of MO
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:49 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I grew up in the Ozarks and I love it there. There's all kinds of lakes and rivers. Branson is okay, it's overrated and crowded. Branson west is better.

Uh, you've really limited yourselves... Have you looked into Springfield? They have a symphony, a theatre, a couple of musuems, lots of shopping, etc. They have some wineries northeast of Springfield towards Rolla.

You could look into Columbia and Jefferson City. They may have what you're looking for.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 1:54 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• The bootheel is also pretty cool, you could look into that.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 1:55 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I absolutely love Missouri, but I always go to the Lake of the Ozarks. lol They have some amazing Winerys (sp) on the lake that you can get to by boat. Many of the small towns have tons of Antiques. However, a lot of the places we go aren't really "culture" - they are hometown, country, neck-of the woods places, but they are soooo much fun! :)
    MommyRust

Answer by MommyRust at 11:23 AM on Apr. 15, 2009