When/how did you get your lo to use a sippy cup and not a bottle?

SabrenaLeigh

Asked by SabrenaLeigh at 12:08 PM on Apr. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I started introducing the sippy cup at 6 months. Just with water in it, I just gave it to her and let her do her own thing. I didn't force it on her - I just wanted her to be familiar with it.

At 8 months I realized she was not really drinking from it - really actually playing with it- so we started trying different kinds. After trail and error we found out it was the handles that made her think they were play toys.

By 9 months we finally found the one that works for her - The Nuby brand with a soft tip - and once we found that out we gave her 2 weeks of getting used to it, then made the decision to only give a bottle first thing in the morning and right before bed.

Now at 11 months I am toying with the idea of getting rid of the first morning bottle. I want her weened from bottle by 1 year - or at least 13 months.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 12:16 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• all my kids got their bottles/pacifiers taken away at 1 yr old. Not a day later. They went to using the sippys that are bottle like, and when they started chewing the tops of those off, (1 1/2 to 2 yrs) I sometimes went to hard top sippys or straight to regular cups.
    MSully3

Answer by MSully3 at 12:11 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• 6 months. I taught them to use a sippy cup over the period of two weeks and when they started drinking from a cup, I got rid of all the bottles.

Once they drank from the sippy, I started by putting their hands on the cup with mine over and worked with them until they would keep their hands on the cup as they drank. They started working with them to tip it up on their own. The longest it took was two weeks with one of the boys.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 12:13 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• ds started at 6 months, put the formula in the sippy, he had no problem taking it. dd, 7 months, but that's because we were out of town the whole month she was 6months, and it was just easier to throw it in the bottle. she also had no problems.
    Anonymous

• Started giving formula in sippy at 6months. Still had some bottles though. But increased sippies until he was off bottle two weeks before one.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:22 PM on Apr. 13, 2009