Do you think that Doctors' worries about getting sue interferes with care & treatment?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:10 PM on Apr. 13, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Of course it interferes, that's why we have so many c-sections. If something goes wrong with a vaginal birth a lot of families will blame the dr and say they should have performed a c-section. If something goes wrong with the c-section the perception is that the dr did all they could.

The only way to get rid of it is to stop frivolous law suits but I don't know how to do that without preventing the legitimate ones from getting through. Maybe some sort of initial review before cases are allowed to go to court but what are the chances that the rejected plaintiffs would accept that ruling?
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 2:52 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Of course it does. Doctors don't answer your questions because of this.
    Anonymous

• absolutely or I would have been able to have a VBAC.
    missv66

Answer by missv66 at 12:12 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• if they are doing everything for the best, and for live in integrity, why would they worry?
    IRA871

Answer by IRA871 at 12:12 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Yes, I do. I think their terrified of it and it also causes their liability insurance to go sky high making it very hard to practice. I also think that fear of the state and the dea makes doctors leary of doing some things too. While there should always be accountabiltiy, there shouldnt be fear to the point that it causes care to go to hell in a handbasket.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 12:12 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I think because too many Americans are sue happy, this has attributed to the high cost of medical procedures...
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 12:13 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Absolutely!
    Grandmarga

Answer by Grandmarga at 12:13 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Yes, in some ways, it does. A lot of it depends on the doctor too. Some are more comfortable with the idea than others. Also, some doctors are linked to hospitals and have to worry about what the hospital might say about what they are doing. A local OBGYN just lost his rights to deliver babies at the only hospital in town because he tied a woman's tubes for health reasons and they don't allow that in their hospital. He did something he felt was medically necessary but had to suffer consequences. So yeah, that kind of thing does change how they operate.

DDry

Answer by DDry at 12:13 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• yep, and the insurance companies just make it ten times worse.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 12:14 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I think that "preventive care" or "medical care" has become "pure business"
    Anonymous