What is your opinion about placing an 8yr old on a diet?

Ok my daughter is 8 and weights a little over 100 lbs and stands about 4'8. Im really thinking about placing on a diet because I'm kinda worried that she will get bigger if she keeps eating the way she does. I'm tall and her father is tall as well so I know she's going to have some height on her. When you look at her she doesn't look fat but she doesn't look 8 either. Have you ever or do you know someone who has placed their little ones on a diet. How did they do it, because Destiny loves to eat.

diamondmamma

Asked by diamondmamma at 12:17 PM on Apr. 13, 2009 in General Parenting

• At 8 years I wouldnt so much limit her intake but the calorie content. Fruit for a snack instead of chips kind of thing. And I would seek the advise of a Dr at that age because there may be a medical reason for it if she isnt obviously just eating junk all day every day.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 12:21 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Loving to eat is fine - she is a growing girl. Its WHAT she eats that is of concern. Don't give chips, candy, soda, etc.
    Replace these things with fruits and veggies, yogurt, fruit juice, etc. That should be all the diet that your 8 year old needs without a doctors recommendation to do so.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 12:21 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Well, how about not calling it a diet and call it, eating healthier and make it a lifestyle. Diets are not permanent and it sounds like she needs some permanent lifestyle changes. My daughter is almost 11 and shes 4'9 and weighs 89 lbs, so I can see how you would think she needs to lose weight but it sounds like shes quite tall. Cut out her junk food and limit her sugar intake. Increase her physical activity as well. I think she will be just fine. Don't put her on a diet, per se. Just change what she eats.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 12:22 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• i think the best thing to do is to talk to the dr. he can make a diet for her that will bve healthy. makes sure she gets alot of activity too. go for a walk daily go to the park play football or soccor with her. it will help her develope better habits and shell be healthier
    xhellxfirex495

Answer by xhellxfirex495 at 12:22 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• http://phaster.com/unpretentious/bmi.html

Abiut 1/2 way down is a color chart, it doesnt start uat the height level until 4-10 but if you take a look she really is in a good position for her heiight and weight. Just have her eat healthier.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 12:24 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I wouldn't put her on a diet per say. But I would find ways to increase her activity level and limit bad foods in the house. That will help control her weight gain.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 12:25 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• My neighbor has a 10 yr old that weighs 115. Her Dr has been after her for 2 yrs to change what shes' buying and work on his eating habits and more exercise. She doesn't and now the kid is having serious self esteem issues. Teasing at school has caused him to engage in several fights/shouting matches.
    It is your job as a parent to do what is best. I would NOT say 'diet' to her. Tell her as a family we need to make better food choices and go from there. Start walking after supper..whatever it takes but approach it as a family..not just her.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 12:26 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Yes in fact my little brother (who is 9 now) was placed on a diet when he was 8 because he weighed about 120 and was about the same height of your daughter. Diets in children don't have to be bad. I would just take her to a nutritionist (it is covered by insurance) and see what they can tell you . I know a big thing for my little brother was portion control. If he still felt like he wasn't full when he was done with his meal, he was offered an array of fresh fruit or some more veggies. There of course is a lot more to it than that but that was one thing that really helped him (because he loved to eat as well). Fruits and veggies were always available to him if he was hungry instead of some of the junk he was eating. Of course I would always say talk to your child's doctor before placing her on any diet. He has to date lost 25 pounds.

CarieP

Answer by CarieP at 12:27 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I think diets are inappropriate for children that age. However, a healthly lifestyle and eating habits should already be in place. If this is already happening and the weight is still an issue, I would think it was a health problem. See a nurtitionist and get some advice for a proper meal plan for this age. But "diet" isn't the word to use.
    DDry

Answer by DDry at 12:28 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Yeah! DO NOT USE THE WORD DIET with her. Perhaps a healthy life style change could be inorder. Making sure that she is playing outside, or going on family walks in the evening. Dont stock soda in your home, if she doesnt have access to it, then she wont be drinking it. Cut out fast food all together, and pack her lunch instead of doing hot lunches at school. She will continue to grow, and be more inline with what her height/weight requirement is.
    2-1CavWife

Answer by 2-1CavWife at 12:29 PM on Apr. 13, 2009