Is any sushi okay when you're pregnant?

I'm craving sushi so bad! I know generally you can't have it while pregnant because of the mercury and raw fish, but what about just a California roll? Or the fried rolls since they're cooked? Is the seaweed part okay while you're pregnant too?

It never sounded good with the last pregnancy, so I never ran into this problem.
Thanks!

julipickle2

Asked by julipickle2 at 12:17 PM on Apr. 13, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Its fine so long as you skip the raw fish part. But all rice and veggies is fine.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 12:19 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Sushi is fine. Sashimi on the other hand (raw fish) is not. I ate sushi twice a week while pregnant. Try the snow crab roll or crunchy roll. They were my favourites. =)
    littlemrsmarcel

Answer by littlemrsmarcel at 12:20 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Ooo I love the crunchy roll!
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 12:21 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Well then baby will too! Lol.
    littlemrsmarcel

Answer by littlemrsmarcel at 12:22 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Sushi is fine. In fact, women in Japan celebrate their pregnancies by eating sushi/sashimi. Its nice to have guidelines, but you do not have to follow them to the tee all the time. Just be aware of the risks.
    serioussifL

Answer by serioussifL at 12:30 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• It's not going to kill you if you have it a couple times. Go ahead.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 1:31 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I would stay away from sushi , or any raw fish for that matter while pregnant. Also stay away from brie cheese. Not good for pregnant woman. Good luck on your pregnancy, many blessings

Lisa Joy
    mslisajoy

Answer by mslisajoy at 1:39 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Sushi is fine while pregnant, like another person said it is sashimi that is raw fish. Oh and the list of foods to avoid while pregnant is just a guide not something you have to follow compleately.
    pixiemomma

Answer by pixiemomma at 3:49 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I ate sushi the whole time I was pregnant with my dd. Yes, even the raw sashimi. The doctor told me it was fine for me to eat. Not saying it would be fine for everyone. I even ate spicy tuna at the hospital when I was having contractions. The nurses thought it was gross, but never once said I couldnt eat it. Just make sure it's good quality and fresh.
    lunamuse89

Answer by lunamuse89 at 5:25 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• As long as it's fresh, I don't see a problem. I have a sushi place that I frequent. I know the owner and I trust her products.
    You're not even suppose to eat deli meats...we all break the rules sometimes...
    MotherofIreland

Answer by MotherofIreland at 5:36 PM on Apr. 13, 2009