Little boys grabbing themselves.

My stepson is 8 years old.. For the last year, he grabs at himself all the time, and sometimes will have his hand down the front of his pants, playing with himself. I tell him to stop doing that at least 5 times every day.. I feel like with him getting older, he shouldn't be doing that.. But of course, you can't talk to his real mom about anything! And I'm just concerned. He doesn't have a rash or isn't wearing any kind of underwear or pants that could be making him itch, but I'm very concerned about the reason.. Anyone else's kids do this, and why?

PeytonsMom21109

Asked by PeytonsMom21109 at 12:21 PM on Apr. 13, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Every time he puts his hands down his pants make him go wash his hands. Eventually, he will get sick of washing his hands and quit playing with himself.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 12:30 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• It is so normal it isn't funny. Remind him that touching himself is his private business and needs to be done in private.. Also make him wash his hands..a lot. Already raised two sons...I know where you're at.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 12:30 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• my friend has 3 little boys & she said all of them started doing this at different ages from 3yr 5yrs & 6yrs (the oldest was 6 & the 2 others started at the same time) when she asked her 6 yr old why he did it he told her bc it felt funny just sitting there and then one day her 5yr old was in the bathroom & started yelling MOM COME QUICK & when she got there he said 'look what my peepee can do! Can your stand up?' I think it has to do with 'figuring themselves out' type of thing. & I've been told not to tell them no when my son does it but it might be a good idea to tell your stepson its ok to do at home but not in public. that maybe the best compromise for you.
    theheartbaby

Answer by theheartbaby at 12:33 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Just tell him he's only allowed to play with it in private and that he must wash his hands when done. Might be easier to have his dad do that talk though. If he plays with it while sitting in the family room or something then just tell him to stop, go wash his hands, and then go on with whatever you were doing before.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 1:57 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• omgoodness mama.. we are 5 and have been battling this for two years.. i told him it woulfd fall off but that lasted a whole two weeks..lol theres not alot you can do.. i would just keep stayn on him and takn away the tv..
    HottMamaRossx2

Answer by HottMamaRossx2 at 3:48 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• it's not abnormal. He's growing up and is learning his body. My son did this for a short time, he's now 10 and no he not still doing it. there's nothing to be worried about.
    surferwifeof3

Answer by surferwifeof3 at 12:08 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Tell him he can only do it in the bathroom with the door closed. Make him wash his hands.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 7:52 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Help help help. My son is almost 7 first grade. Hands down his pants moving it. He says it touches him. He doesn't like that. He is moving it constantly. Every where. Now he is getting teased at school. He says he cannot stop.
    Malis1

Answer by Malis1 at 2:38 PM on Mar. 30, 2011