Depression

Have you had it?

I think I am clinically depressed.
I have no motivation to do anything. I do the things that NEED to be done, only because they need to be done.
I'm so unhappy with my life, but I have NO real reason to feel that way, and I can't figure out how to snap out of it.
And I feel this is all separate from my self-esteem issues...

I just want to be a happy, healthy housewife who always has a smile on her face because her house is pristine and there are brownies in the oven.

Will anti-depressants do this for me? I'm afraid of the side-effects, but I'm starting to wonder if the pros outweigh the cons.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:23 PM on Apr. 13, 2009 in Health

• I was dealing with depression for a long time. I never got help and i never felt better. I finally had enough. I sought help from a pyschiatrist and am on medication now. After 6 attempts at different medications, some work for some people and not all, I am finally myself again. I'm happy, healthy and am there for my kids and my husband. I feel like those years were lost because I didn't do anything about it. I wanted too long to get help. Dont wait!!!
    surferwifeof3

Answer by surferwifeof3 at 12:04 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• i totally know how u feel. i have 5 kids and hubby is gone 5-6 days as a truck driver. i was on meds before and they did work, i am going to be talking to my dr. soon. its not easy or fun feeling this way. i had ppd also did u just have a baby?
    silly7

Answer by silly7 at 12:27 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• No, it's not PPD. My daughter is almost 4 years old.
    What meds did you take and were there any bad side effects?
    Anonymous

• i had tried several that can also be frusturating but dont give up!!! prozac worked the best for me but when i went back on it , it didnt work as well, i am told this can happen. other than having dry mouth i did not get bad side effects but everyone is different
    silly7

Answer by silly7 at 12:34 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I've been on prozac for several years now and it works well for me. Dry mouth is the only side effect I find. Good luck!
    Tx2Step

Answer by Tx2Step at 8:44 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• There is no magic wand to make your house pristine and the brownies pop into the oven by themselves. I wish there were though :) I've taken literally all of the anti-depressants and still have trouble. As a matter of fact, I may now be dealing with permanent side effects. Be very careful what you take, look up everything prescribed at webmd.com and medicinenet.com. crazymeds.com is a good one too, you can see what personal experiences people have had with meds. Information is power. Good luck!
    krisr169

Answer by krisr169 at 9:27 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Of course I don't mean that I think anti-depressants will magically do things FOR me, lol.
    I want to be able to do those things myself!! And I do, sometimes, but the majority of the time I am apathetic, unmotivated, melancholy, utterly hopeless...I'm in a haze of perpetual depression. I hate it.
    I've decided to inspect my nutritional intake first, before trying any medications. If I get myself well-hydrated, stop drinking so much caffeine, stop eating processed foods... I might fix myself! Who knows?
    Anonymous