Well since it appears to be a big deal that the president got a dog... what do you think about people on welfare and foodstamps getting pets?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:23 PM on Apr. 13, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• As long as it doesn't crap on my lawn, I could care less.
    Anonymous

• omg give it up. why are you people always trying to rag on someone that might be as well off as you. who cares who has pets and who doesnt.
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 12:26 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I think that, while pets are great for kids, if you can't afford your own kids, you shouldn't get a pet.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 12:26 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• might not be
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 12:27 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I agree with carolynbarnett! I don't believe foodstamps pays for dog food, or does it?

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 12:28 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I would say good for that pet too many are exterminated!Money and the size of someones heart are 2 separate things! As long as they have enough food a pet is good for ones health too. Hense Less hospital bill! Walk in their shoes b4 you judge!
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 12:30 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I think it's fine! welfare and foodstamps are there to assist, not necessarily live off of. if you are dirt poor and have one can of beans to feed you and 5 kids for the week, then you shouldnt have a pet. afterall they need vetinary care, food and shelter which can add up on bills.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 12:30 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Get a Grip people. People on well fare or get food stamps are people too who just fell on hard times ( yea i'm sure there are some that just ride the sytem) But having a pet while growing up is a lot of comfort to a child. ( cause a pet wouldn't be as judgemental as people or other children would be for being poor or of a lower class. they wouldn't care if you shoes came from a thrif store where other children Do.)
    No you can't buy dog food on foodstamps.
    Anonymous

• Let me add something here -

I think that, if you have a pet, and you fall on hard times and need assistance, that is one thing. The pet at that time is part of the family and will make it through with you.

BUT if you are already on assistance, and go out and get a puppy or kitten, that is very irresponsible of you and it should not be done.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 12:42 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I feel that people that ride the system just because they are lazy and don't have any ambition to try are a disgrace but when you genuinely fall on hard times and need help I don't feel that there is any shame in that, so if you have a pet keep it. No sense in a bunch of innocent animals being euthanized over it. Now, if you are paying for food for your animals and not your children THEN you should find them another home, but if you can get help and keep both, why not?
    BriHan06

Answer by BriHan06 at 12:45 PM on Apr. 13, 2009