Newborn swimming.

I want to take my three week old swimming, but I'm too worried about people, chlorine, diseases, etc. that are at a public pool. Are there any downsides to taking her "swimming" in my bathtub? Like lukewarm water, no diaper, just me, her, and my husband.

doubleyouteeeff

Asked by doubleyouteeeff at 12:30 PM on Apr. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No, none at all so long as you make sure she stays warm.

Newborns get cold super fast. At that age, Kaylee could only stand a quick bath before she started turning blue. Its hard because their small body can't tolerate really warm water - so the water cools quickly and in return so do they.

If she DOES get super cold, here is a piece of advice - keep her naked, and put her against your bare skin, and then rap the both of you up in a blanket. She will get more warmth from your body heat then from the blanket itself.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 12:32 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• It would probably be best, at that age, to avoid public pools. I even took my LO (3 months) "swimming" at SeaWorld,and she ended up not liking the water at all (too cold). Bathtub swimming sounds great! The only downside I can think of is if she poops in the water while youre in there too lol
    serioussifL

Answer by serioussifL at 12:32 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• You must have a really big bathtub!
    Anonymous

• I always take baths with my newborns. It is a very bonding experience. I just make sure that they are kept warm the entire time.
    ljliammama

Answer by ljliammama at 3:00 PM on Apr. 13, 2009