Newborn swimming.

I want to take my three week old swimming, but I'm too worried about people, chlorine, diseases, etc. that are at a public pool. Are there any downsides to taking her "swimming" in my bathtub? Like lukewarm water, no diaper, just me, her, and my husband.

doubleyouteeeff

Asked by doubleyouteeeff at 12:30 PM on Apr. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• that would b ok. it would teach her not to b affraid of water too
    xhellxfirex495

Answer by xhellxfirex495 at 12:31 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• The bath is okay. But a newborn isn't able to maintain body temperature in water so you can't take a baby that age in a swimming pool anyway.
    DDry

Answer by DDry at 12:32 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• or you could get a small wading pool. i got a little plastic one for my daughter when she was about 6 months, it was the perfect size for me to sit in with her and just kinda hold her and splash and play. just empty it out after you use it and flip it over that way it can dry and not grow anything
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 12:33 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Pools of any kind are not okay until at least 6 months old. The water isn't warm enough to maintain their body temp.
    Anonymous

• Keep swimming with her in the tub until she is at least 6 mo. old.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 12:40 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• we have a kiddie pool and during the hot months SO and I have sat in the pool with our then newborn son. I dont know if I'd go to a public pool just yet. use lots of sunscreen and only expose the baby to the water for a little bit since she could get colder faster!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 12:54 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• My dd and I (7weeks old) take a bath together once a week. I love the bonding time and she LOVES baths. She really likes to be all the way in the water, up to her shoulders. So I say go for it in the bathtub. Not in a public pool. they freak me out to much anyway. She will never go in one. we will have one at our house for her.
    Kenzismommy09

Answer by Kenzismommy09 at 1:03 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• The bathtub would be fine but I wouldn't take a baby that young to a public or even private pool.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 1:47 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I wouldn't go to a public pool, but Emi has been taking a bath with me in the big bath since her umbilical cord fell off at 2.5weeks. I fill it up as high as it would go and we have a blast.
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 2:34 PM on Apr. 13, 2009