are their shots current?

My 10 yo dd was pet sitting for our neighbors and got bit by their little dog while playing with it. The bite broke skin and they have said their dog's rabies shot is current. Would you ask for actual proof? We have known them for 10 years and know that they are honest Christian people. It just puts us in a weird position. Our neighbor was very apologetic when I told her and asked if the shots were current but wonder if we should have done more.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:52 PM on Apr. 13, 2009 in Pets

• You know, the rabies shot has been shown to be effective for much longer than what we've been told. Some veterinarians are estimating it's good for up to 12 years. I'd not worry much about it.
    Raintree

Answer by Raintree at 12:55 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• You have known them for a long time. I'm sure if their dog wasn't up to date they would tell you to protect your daughter. If you are really really worried about it then go get tests done on your daughter, but I'm sure they would have told you if their dog wasn't UTD.
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 12:56 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• In my state, if a dog bites, it's an automatic 10-day quarantine....regardless of vaccination. A vaccination is a "hope they don't get it" shot, just like with people.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 1:04 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Does the dog seem rabid? Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it. The chances of the dog even catching rabies is unlikely, unless you live in the mountains. Also, rabies takes a long time to hurt a human, it is not an emergency. If it would give you peace of mind, ask her to see the paper. Tell her you called the doctor and he asked when the dog had his last shots. She shouldn't be mad that you're asking for proof, at least you're not calling the cops on them.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 1:37 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• just know that if you ask your 10yr friend to see the records, its gonna open up a whole different can of worms. you've been friends for 10 years and they're gonna feel betrayed that you dont trust them enough to take their word
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 5:20 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• i wouldn't worry about it. i think it has to be rabid to show the dog has rabies.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 6:36 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I would ask for proof. Saying the dog has its shots means NOTHING. If the dog doesent have current rabies and other vaccines , your daughter could get sick , RABIES isnt the only disease dogs get that humans can get sick from. I would want to see shot records. It may upset your friends, but my childs health is far more important than their discomfort. I have 4 dogs and keep them vaccinated to the hilt, and if ANYONE asks me , I will show them their shot records, and my dogs have never bitten anyone. Same goes for the family cats and rabbits. I dont take offence to people wanting to make sure their kids are safe around my animals. Get a copy of the shot records ASAP.
    Mom2PunkRockers

Answer by Mom2PunkRockers at 9:22 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I'd ask for proof also. The dog should have an updated tag on. And please it's your child you have the right.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 12:00 PM on Apr. 15, 2009