How far along did you wait to bleach/dye your hair while pregnant?

xxSummaxx13

Asked by xxSummaxx13 at 1:08 PM on Apr. 13, 2009 in Pregnancy

• If not coloring your hair makes you feel sad, I say do it. It's better for you to be a happy prego lady and not stressed out! Try to stick with a pretty brown though, and don't do it a lot. Oh and get it done professionally, no box colors.
    ours

Answer by ours at 1:53 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• ur not supposed to do that period while preggo. the amonia can b absorbed thru ur scalp and can cause major problems even miscarriage. if u feel u hav to. talk to ur dr.
    xhellxfirex495

Answer by xhellxfirex495 at 1:08 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• YOu can dye your hair. Most hair colors are now ammonia free or you can buy them that way like the fructise or whatever it is. As for bleaching I don't know as its extremely strong no matter what kind you buy. You can use a basic dye or use a blonde dye tho.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 1:13 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Most pregnancy experts (such as the What to Expect Series) warn against dying and bleaching hair. You don't know what the chemicals may do to the baby. While many people did do it and claim their kids are "fine" I doubt they actually know if their kids are fine or not. It is possible that perhaps someone's kid might have had one less allergy (as an example) ect. if they had refrained from non-doctor recommended activity during pregnancy. To me, miscarriage isn't the only thing I try to avoid during pregnancy. I want my child to be healthy and not exposed to synthetic chemicals too.

I say if you MUST do it, the longer you wait, the worse. During the early stages of pregnancy, the fetus lives off of the menstrual blood. It is later on in pregnancy that the infant has more of a connection with the mother and therefore has greater chance of exposure to whatever has entered your bloodstream.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 1:42 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Also, my doctor gave me the OK to color my hair if I really wanted because without amonia it's really not a big deal. You can either be a mom that lives in a bubble (which is how you'll probably be towards your kid once they're born), or just be reasonably careful. :]
    ours

Answer by ours at 1:56 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I dyed my air when i was preggo with my daughter... I asked the ob. They just recommend you not do it during the first trimester. & to use amonia free. You cant bleach your hair though. & be careful what color you choose. Your hormones can change the outcome of the color
    Anonymous

• I'm a hairstylist, and you can color and bleach your hair while pregnant . I changed my color about 3 times during my pregnancy and worked in the salon around color. So go ahead !
    Mom2Rylin

Answer by Mom2Rylin at 2:48 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I'm a very big fan of dying my hair, and while I was pregnant, I dyed it twice. I used the Revlon Colorsilk hair dye, it's got all natural ingredients, and it's amonia free! It's only $3.50 at wal mart!
    lynnseyfaye

Answer by lynnseyfaye at 3:02 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• First off ALL hair color has amonia, in one shape or form, the hair folicle needs it to swell and deposit a color, or "strip" (bleach) a color out. I think its silly when people say that. Anyway, I too want to bleach my hair, but Im waiting until two months after my son is born, so my hormones dont mess it up, last time I went blonde after my son, it was too soon and my hair was really dry anyway from pregnancy so it broke off a bit. Id wait if you can, or just get highlights, off scalp.
    johnnybgood

Answer by johnnybgood at 2:24 PM on Nov. 17, 2009