Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Child Welfare Checks???

Yesterday, Me & My Husband went to see his Grandmother for Easter with our 9Month old Daughter. His Grandmother was talking to us about his ex g/f, who my husband had a child with A year before we got together. Here are my Questions....

1. How do you get Child Welfare?
2. If your living with someone who has a full-time job and your not Married that does count as income correct??

It kind of makes me sick, this woman had her 2nd Child by A guy she was only with for 3months, they live together he works full time at a Construction Company. But my husbands grandmother has been giving this Woman money on the side just to be nice and the whole time shes been getting Welfare Checks for $193 every week or every 2 weeks, I'm not sure how it works thats why I'm asking.... It makes me mad to think me and my husband are paying her welfare check, while she sits at home with a 2nd child who she will probably get a check for also.

Answer Question

Asked by marcnsarah at 1:20 PM on Apr. 13, 2009 in General Parenting

Level 3 (17 Credits)
Answers (27)
  • She is lying to the welfare people. You could get her in trouble if you wanted to.


    Answer by louise2 at 1:25 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

  • Welfare is income based. As long as her name is on the apartment and bills and she has little to no income she can get it. If they are made aware of her living arrangements and there is proof of him living there such as bills being sent there then she will have to re-certify herself and the child or children. Each state has their own income qualifications and anyone who lives in the home counts as income.

    Answer by brailynsmama08 at 1:25 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

  • It doesn't matter if he is on the birth certificate, they do it based on family size and income. So you could turn her in for fraud and they will investigate and could either put her in jail or make her pay fines and pay it all back.

    Answer by brailynsmama08 at 1:26 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

  • Also.... She never put my Husband on the Birth Certificate could that have also help her get A Welfare Check. We never see this Child and we haven't in 2 years, because her Mother Is controlling and will only bring her around for 2 Holidays If that. But she did give this 2nd child that she just had, her boyfriends last name and I'm guessing he is on the Birth Certificate.

    Answer by marcnsarah at 1:26 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

  • That's his child and he is going to have to pay childsupport unless he signs over his parental rights. Doesn't matter what her lifestyle is, that doesn't concern the courts. What concerns them if that the child is being taken care of and the father is helping. And as for the child's paternal grandmother helping out, maybe that is what she wants to do for her grandchild.

    Answer by diamondmamma at 1:27 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

  • How would I report it??

    Answer by marcnsarah at 1:27 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

  • LOL are you jealous? Stay out of her business!

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:27 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

  • Oh i'm sorry this is for welfare and not childsupport? Well disregard what i said then. Sorry.

    Answer by diamondmamma at 1:28 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

  • She won't allow us to help, we've tried. This child is really confused as it is and going to court I'm not so sure what would happen.

    Answer by marcnsarah at 1:29 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

  • Anonymous-----STAY OUT OF HER BUSINESS, WE'RE PAYING FOR HER WELFARE, this WOMAN has made our life hell, so DO NOT TELL ME to stay out of her BUSINESS, when you know nothing about this... You've got to be kidding ME we're paying for her to sit at Home and be LAZY.

    Answer by marcnsarah at 1:32 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.