inflated medical costs! Can I fight this?

I am furious at the rising healthcare costs. I knew it was going up but I recently received a bill that is the MOST inflated I have ever seen. My daughter began complaining with her arm hurting and not being able to move it. It did seem a little swollen and after about a week, I took her to see our nurse practitioner. She felt around her arm and her shoulder and thought she felt something weird so she sent for her an xray. I had to call to get the results and all the nurse said was that she had a grade 2 injury and they made me an appt with our local orthopedic doc. I got there and he asked me if I had the xrays. I said, well they were done at the hospital next door. He is supposed to be able to pull them up online. He was not able to, so I left the office, went next door and got them myself. He was very apologetic. So he looks at them and says....who said she had an injury? I said, the radiologist. He said apparently.....cont

momofsaee

Asked by momofsaee at 1:36 PM on Apr. 13, 2009 in Health

• due to the angle at which the picture was taken, it looks like her shoulder is separated, but if you will look at this picture, its fine. Its just the angle and it was misread. Thats usually why they take 2 or 3. There were only 2 xrays. He said...theres nothing wrong with her arm and I have examined her as well and it was probably just a pulled muscle. We left and he did not charge me. I have seen many x ray bills over the last 15 yrs since I have had kids and my portion is usually under $100. We have always had private insurance as well. I received our explanation of benefits and the bill that was submitted to Cigna was $1015 for 3 pictures. I only saw 2 in the office. I find that outrageous and just wrong in so many ways. Then to know that it was read wrong by the radiologist on staff at the hospital. My portion is $436 and that includes her ded. I am not happy and I am seriously thinking of fighting this. Wrong? right?
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 1:40 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Yes, you can. Especially if she was misdiagnosed. Call their office, tell them what the doctor said and that you want them to write off whatever insurance didn't pay. Tell them you will be happy to have the doctor write a letter or they can call him about it. You can tell them to take the insurance payment and write off the rest. Most of the time, they will do it in a case like this. Be persistent. Talk to supervisors if you have to.  Your best bet is to start out nice, try to win them over with kindness.  If that doesn't get you anywhere, that's when you get pushy and demanding. 

DDry

Answer by DDry at 1:45 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Check the bill. Sometimes they charge for things that you didn't even get. Sad, but true.
    rhope4

Answer by rhope4 at 1:54 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Yep check the bill if no details call and get them then fight it.
    Anonymous

• That's Awful! I hope you can find your right answer!! I know I had some medical Care in '05 & I'm still unwell & paying on it! When My Daughter like me had no insurance The Hospital Charged her Double on Everything!! I can't believe what happens..I did have A seperated Sternum, Broken collar bone, skull fracture, Pulled Muscles, & torn ligaments.. & nothing was done to help me! Its like this is what's wrong. Go home & heal.. I hope you can get it taken care of!!
    Angellinda

Answer by Angellinda at 2:16 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Wow, I work for an insurance co (and have had many x-rays lol) and they are usually only $100-$200 a piece. Is that for the x-ray for for the radiologist to read them? That is usually 2 seperate charges. If that is the radiologist bill, I would call since he obviously did his job wrong. To put it in perspective some...I just had a brain MRI in october with and without contrast. My bill was the same as yours. (my portion was only about $78) I would definatly ask for some kind of audit on this. Something dosen't sound right to me.
    Anonymous