My DH is going in the military...

My DH has been researching and talking with other friends about the military...he's visited recruiters and gotten all the information he would need...but is still extremely torn between two branches of the military. He doesn't know whether he'd rather go into the Marines or the Air Force. There is no question about him going because he has his heart set on leaving, but doesn't know which way to go. Anyone have any experience or advice that you could pass on about both branches?? Like I said, his heart is set so I dont need any advice on not joining..thats not an option :) Thank you!

CassiRae3

Asked by CassiRae3 at 1:46 PM on Apr. 13, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Depends, what does he want to do? My husband loves construction so he went into the Seabees in the Navy. He is a builder. I personally think Marines is better then the Air Force for men and I think the Air Force is better for women. 

vnw1405

Answer by vnw1405 at 1:59 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• My husband was a Marine and since they have the hardest boot camp along with many other aspects. Comparing the Air Force to the Marines is like comparing apples to oranges. Totally different. Tell your husband to watch youtube on Marine Corps training. They are one of the Elite. I have respect for all of our armed services, but Air Force would be better if your husband is looking to "get treated better" in different aspects. Good luck with his search. If you have any other questions I could ask my hubby for you. He was in for 6 years and is an OIF II veteran. We were together since he started the Marines and it's a long journey.
    MandyT1021

Answer by MandyT1021 at 2:08 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• my husband has been Air Force for 17 years. Just so you know the military is not a lifestyle for everyone so keep that in mind. Personally I can't speak for the other branches but the Air Force is very family friendly and deployments are generally shorter. Longest time my husband has been deployed has been 6 months both times to Iraq. Total deployements in 17 years 4.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 2:09 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• He was told by the marines that because of his ASVAB score he can do whatever he want. He has also watched the Making Marines video that are the Parris Island bootcamp videos. He was very impressed with them.
    CassiRae3

Answer by CassiRae3 at 2:13 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• It does have alot to do with what he wants to do in the military. Don't fall into the 'this branch is better than that branch bs". These days they ALL are trained well. My son had Marines training with him at the MP School in Missouri and he was ARMY,so,what does that tell you? I think his best bet is to go to the recruiters and let them pitch to him,take the best you can get and go for it. Make sure you ask everything!
    Anonymous

• He may have had Marine training in MP school but Army doesn't go through Marine Corps bootcamp which is the hardest. Like I said I have respect for any military personnel but let the truth be told.
    MandyT1021

Answer by MandyT1021 at 7:35 PM on Apr. 13, 2009