• In the Spotlight:

Knee replacements in the elderly...

My father had his knee replaced last part of Feb, and he's been recuperating in a nursing home. After all this time, his knee still swells, is red, and has a fever.

My father has really taken great care of himself the last 20 years, and is in fact, in better health than 80-90% of the residents in the home. He's always been active, and this is about to drive him up the nearest wall.

Is it possible his body is trying to reject the replacement? If so, is there anyone out there who can tell us what to do about it? We obviously can't put the old knee back. He had the procedure done in a town south of here, and I wouldn't trust the doctors here with my dog if given a choice, much less my father. The nursing home will probably take him to see his surgeon soon.

rhope4

Asked by rhope4 at 1:47 PM on Apr. 13, 2009 in Health

• He needs to see his surgeon soon. It sounds as though he has an infection. My mother was only in rehab a couple weeks with hers, then got PT in her home.

Answer by Bmat at 1:50 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Is your Dad a diabetic? He needs to see his surgeon real soon. It could be he has some other medical issues that are playing a part in all this.
    Tx2Step

Answer by Tx2Step at 8:39 PM on Apr. 13, 2009