Need help autistic son. Very hyper active! Medication suggestions???

My 8 year old son has autism and is VERY HYPER and I need help!!!!! He has a doctors appt tomorrow (neurolgy). I am hoping that someone out there has experienced what I am going through and has some helpful advice to share. He is non stop from about6-7am til 9pm and i don't know what to do!!!! He has start pinching and scratching again when he gets excited and/or anxious. He just a couple of days ago tried to bite me.... He also jumps around with his bare feet super hard on the tile floor ( i know this has got to hurt after awhile) He also pounds the walls, floors, tables, and almost any piece of furniture repeatidly, (which also should hurt). I dont know what to do. Does anyone know of any medications that could help with this behavior?

I know that there are bevioral stratagies that can help. I have tried that and it didnt really work for him.

Please any advice is welcome.
Thank you

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:51 PM on Apr. 13, 2009 in Kids' Health

• I wish I could help you, but I don't know what to tell you. I would talk to the doc at his appointment. Good luck.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 6:14 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Autistic people respond very well to a gluten & casein free diet. You can also use melatonin to aid in restful sleep.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 7:43 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• my son is also 8 yrs old and I know this is just the hardest and most frustrating thing! I cannot stress the importance of a BCBA or a BCABA this is a board certified behavior analyst. My son has been doing home therapy for 15 months now and hes doing so well that Ive taken him out of school and decided to home school. Im not saying that my son is being cured or anything like that, he has never even said a word. But I know that the kids have an extremely hard time expressing themselves and that ALL behavior is communication. If you need to talk, you can message me. I know some parents have a hard time...I dont know. Neurologists will almost always give you some kind of meds to give. But I say, if you can find a better way of communicating than some of the problem behaviors will go away.
    JenniferDeegan

Answer by JenniferDeegan at 12:21 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• I have a son that has autism.He is 5 years old.He is on med that the dr has gave him.My son is doing better. plus he loves school. If my son had his way he would go all year arond if you let him. But the dr. will let you know what the best thing for your son. because they might try somthing esle first.Just being there for your son and loving hime with all your heart god will help you alone the way.God has help me out with my son and daughter that has adhd.If you ever need to talk you can talk to me anytime,
    Laurakenny10

Answer by Laurakenny10 at 12:39 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• My son is not autistic but he is very hyper and we tried all the adhd meds. But he is now on a patch that just calms him down he's not hitting or biting or kicking anymore. He's calm and can get thru the day. I don't know how docs feel about autistic and adhd meds but if it helps it helps and that's all that matters. The patch is called daytrana
    originalzademom

Answer by originalzademom at 12:36 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• heavy metals and toxins can be a contributing factor to autism. see www.sharethecause.com/hastily/Unseen-Killers  and www.liquidzeolite.org   Please take a look at this.  i have heard of other folks that has seen improvements in their children's behavior.  this is all natural and simple to use.  let me know if you want more info. 

jmcan

Answer by jmcan at 5:34 PM on Apr. 22, 2009