How do I prevent my baby from jerking off my boob?

Sometimes while nursing he will jerk off (for lack of a better term) without breaking the suction. How can I get this to stop?

bluelady27

Asked by bluelady27 at 2:03 PM on Apr. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Depending on age either distraction or strong let down. For strong let down try to pump a little first, for distraction try a quiet room.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:35 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• My guess is he is doing it either because you have a really strong let down and the milk comes too fast... if you think it might be this you might want to express a little before.
    Or he's finished and doesn't know how to unlatch... and I would watch for signs of being done and unlatch him and he will learn how to do it.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 2:05 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• He usually does it within the first minute. I guess I must have a strong let down. Every time he does it I turn into a water gun so that would make sense.
    bluelady27

Answer by bluelady27 at 2:07 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Oh man, that is so painful! Makes my nipples hurt. You might try to make him latch and then unlatch him slowly with your pinky. Do that over and over again in a short period of time. He might even end up waiting for you to pry him off before he detaches. Better than him nearly tearing your nipples off! Haha. Also, if you use any kind of ointment, most are OK to use while actively breastfeeding. Try applying some before he latches on. Then the detachment won't be quite so painful.
    MommyDumDum

Answer by MommyDumDum at 2:12 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Depending on his age it might just be he is getting distracted. I would try moving your nursing sessions to a quieter room or, maybe trying out a nursing necklace. There might not be anything you can do to stop it, though. So far my son has not done this and I use a nursing necklace with him.
    With my daugther, though, nothing could keep her attention and after about 6 months she would pop off all the time to see what was going on.
    Anonymous

• He is almost six weeks old.
    bluelady27

Answer by bluelady27 at 10:22 PM on Apr. 13, 2009