co-sleeping, how long should it last?

My daughter is 5 1/2 months old and still co-sleeping, although she sleeps in her crib for naps. The other night i tried to have her sleep in her crib and all went fine till about 1:30am when I woke up and almost had a heart attack because she wasnt next to me, untill i remembered where she was, silly i know, but the rest of the night she was with me. Would it be better for the both of us if we slept seperetly?

Cookiiee

Asked by Cookiiee at 2:04 PM on Apr. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes, it would be better if you get her used to sleeping alone now rather when she gets bigger. You both will probably sleep better in your own beds.
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 2:08 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I think that co-sleeping is great, but when you DO decide to re-claim your bed, the older she is the harder it would be.

Maybe try a cradle next to your bed. She will still be right next to you so you can check on her, but she will start getting used to sleeping by herself.

What I do with my daughter ever since I stopped co-sleeping is when she wakes in the morning (around 4 or 5 am) I bring her to bed with me for the rest of the morning to sleep in :)
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 2:08 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• If you keep on co-sleeping..When she gets older.. You will not be able to get her out of your bed..
    I have seen plenty of women post,,"how do I get my kid to sleep in her own bed"..So do it now before she get to use to sleeping with you. JMO

Answer by louise2 at 2:10 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Until the child outgrows the need.
    My daughter moved out of our bed shortly after her first birthday.
    Once her little brother was born she came by for awhile. Now she is in a twin bed in our room. She'll go back to her room when she's ready.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 2:20 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Whenever you WANT to quit :) I am so sick of people talking about how co sleeping creates issues, or dependency issues, when many of those women never co slept. We stopped co sleeping when Becka was around 19 months old. She was in our room until she was around 2 years old. No issues at all, it was a smooth transition and just amazing! I was surprised. I still snuggle for occasional naps, and in the AM hehe.

You can co sleep for as long as you, and baby are comfy.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 2:27 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• He he...mine did it until 4 because he wanted to and I let him. Then we moved into a small house for a bit and had no choice but for him to sleep with me for a couple years. Then we were without housing and had no choice for a few more years. Finally, at 13, he has his own room and bed. He has spent the night with friends and stayed at grandpas for a month no prob. I just never made him. In fact, he slept in my bed last night. He's just that type, he likes knowing someone is there. He is fine and emotionally stable, so, I say quit when you want to. As long as you know she is also ok to sleep by herself. Or will be able to sleep at someones house without you. If she can't do that..You need to start breaking her.
    Anonymous

• My son is 6 and he still sleeps with me sometimes. Do whatever makes you comfortable. I wouldnt have it any other way !
    JunoDolly

Answer by JunoDolly at 3:23 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I don't co-sleep. But I would think if she does well with not co-sleeping now would be a good time to let her sleep in her crib, it will be harder later on.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 3:30 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• my DD is ten months old and is co-sleeping. I never meant for her and I to co-sleep, but she had a couple bad nights while teething and a habit was made. I have been trying to break this sleeping routine now for over a month and have been have a lot of trouble from her. She cries hysterically when she wakes up alone in her crib. If you can avoid this situation, I recommend it. Let her sleep in her crib. If you are having a hard time seperating from her, could you have her crib in your room so when you wake you can see her sleeping in her crib? It may make it easier for you. good luck! :)
    rachelsmommy78

Answer by rachelsmommy78 at 3:39 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• For as long as they want. My oldest is almost 4 and just asked today to sleep in his own room (we have had a bed in there for a year now) and so we are going to try it tonight. My youngest is almost 2 years and she still nurses and cosleeps. Friends had a daughter who finally moved to her own room at 5 years, but was in her own bed in their room at the age of 3. Both mine sleep in their own "space" (crib and toddler bed sidecarred with our bed), but in our room with us.
    Anonymous