Am I wrong for being mad?

I am mad at my Mother in law....Here is what happened. A few weeks ago I did a dumb survey on myspace and posted it and she read it. One of the questions said, are you saving money and what for? I wrote we are saving money to be able to move to another city so I can go to school. She got angry and called my husband and said that we shouldn't be saving money to move that we should be paying her more money instead, (she took a loan out for us and we have been paying it every month). Am I wrong for being mad at that? It bothers me so much that she said that. I told my husband we are selling our car so that we could pay her back so she wont keep complaining about it. Thanks for listening =)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:10 PM on Apr. 13, 2009 in Relationships

• Sort of. It won't do any good to be mad. If you are paying her the agreed on amount every month, she should leave it alone. If you are not, then you should be paying her the money you are saving. Also, be more aware of the private information you are posting in a public place.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 2:12 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• It's good you're saving for a worthwhile cause.She should support you in that decision.I'd be mad too.
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 2:14 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Agree with above.
    Anonymous

• well 1st answer.
    Anonymous

• No, if you have a set payback amount then she shouldn't expect more. It is good that your saving for what you two want. Your MIL was wrong. Now if you have been slacking and not paying her back or if your "contract" is fulfilled then yes, she has a right to be mad.
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 2:17 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• As long as you are paying her back,what she is saying does not really matter.Don't sell the car..Tell your DH to tell her we are paying you..What we do with the rest of our money is none of your business.. Some advice here..Don't barrow money from family

Answer by louise2 at 2:17 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I would be mad that she thinks she can control your money and savings, it was her choice to take that loan and you are paying it, it's not her !!
    NicholeAT

Answer by NicholeAT at 2:21 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• It's understandable that you are upset, but she might also have her own reasons to be upset. If you are paying as you planned, then I doubt that is her real issue. If she didn't know about your plans she might be unhappy about that more than about the loan. She may be upset that you are going or she might be upset about the way she learned about it. If that is the case, maybe you should cut her a little slack.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 2:53 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I understand where you're coming from. But at the same time, you are in debt to her. You should pay her back, and then save/do whatever you want with your money =]
    ChangingSeasons

Answer by ChangingSeasons at 4:55 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• If I were you I would be a little upset with her for meddling and stalking your myspace page and calling your husband. On the other hand if you guys are living under her roof and owe her money, maybe she thinks that if you move she won't get her money as quickly as she would like. I say it's you and your husbands decision, after all you are married to him not her. I know how in-laws can be. Trust me...been there done that.
    Anonymous