What do you think of when you hear the word Cheerleader?

I'm really curious on what everybodies thinking is on this.Seems that there is a certain stereotype that most put Cheerleaders in and I'm wondering what that is. And why.So let me know what you think and why..Thanks so Much..

Melodys_Song

Asked by Melodys_Song at 2:17 PM on Apr. 13, 2009 in General Parenting

Level 1 (-3 Credits)
  • I was a cheerleader and it makes me think of hours and hours of exercise. Gymnastics and dance classes, broken bones and black eyes from stunting injuries, and loads of fun.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 2:20 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• When I hear the word cheerleader, I think of a little girl in a uniform with pom poms cheering at a game. Thats it. I will say that in our community, being a cheerleader is like the ultimate thing for these girls. They begin grooming them at about 5-6 in gymnastics and cheer classes and keep them on competitive teams until they are old enough to try out for the middle school team and ultimately the high school teams. Our HS football team goes to state championships most years so its an important thing. I think its great that they work so hard, but it does concern me that so much emphasis is placed on something so...well....unimportant. Its lots of fun and teaches hard work and athleticism but I think too much time is put into it. It doesnt usually pay the bills later on in life. Thats our community anyway.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 2:26 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Fun. HardWorking. Healthy. Active.
    Anonymous

• Well, I am not from this country but when I hear cheerleader, I think excellence in sports, acrobatics, grace, discipline, team work. Sometimes I don't like the outfits but that is secondary, you can't take away from these athletes all their hard work just because of a couple of silly movies about cheer leading and skimpy outfits. If you like cheerleader, don't worry much about what other people think or don't think, enjoy the experience and make the best out of it. Most things are what you want them to be, if it is in your heart to make it a rewarding experience, then that is what it will be. Good luck.
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 2:28 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Well, no sports pay the bills unless you're one of the few that "make it." Anyway, in order to participate in sports, kids have to keep their grades up. I was a cheerleader for 11 years (6-17) and I loved it. We were very competitive and my body was SOOO fit . . not a pinch of fat on me.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 2:29 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• It makes me think of the some of the terrible people I knew in high school who were cheerleaders. Sorry, that's just what comes to mind for me.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 2:30 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• It makes me think popular, money, silly, cute outfits but too sexy.

But I get my idea from the cheerleaders when I was in highschool, I DO KNOW most squads work hard and are talented at what they do.
    Anonymous

• i dont normally judge but every single cheerleader ive ever met has been a bit of a slut...im 16...im in highskool. thats just how it seems to work. i was a cheerleader however, so there r some that arent but the ones on my highskool team hav pretty much been with everyone on the football team...
    xhellxfirex495

Answer by xhellxfirex495 at 2:31 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• It brings up a lot of good memories. I was a cheerleader in middle school. It was so much fun, gave me friends and things to look forward to, as well as dicipline in practice. We were champions at one compitition too! I loved it.
    serioussifL

Answer by serioussifL at 2:38 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I was a cheeleader in highschool and college...I just loved it. It kept my healthy and fit, it did include tedious difficult workouts and lots of hours of practice. I think of hyper girls and cute outfits...lol!
    mommy2karsyn

Answer by mommy2karsyn at 2:43 PM on Apr. 13, 2009