Do you think its racist to call someone a "mullato"?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:24 PM on Apr. 13, 2009 in Relationships

• Uh, yeah. Since it was originally a derogatory term for a biracial person.
    Anonymous

• I dont even know what a "mullato" is. If youre calling someone that, I would assume its derogatory.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 2:28 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Yes I do. Duh!
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 2:28 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Honestly, I never thought of it as racist, to tell you the truth . . . I know if I use the term I'm certainly not using it in any derogatory form whatsoever.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 2:29 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I never thought of it as a negative thing. The only time I have ever heard of it was from biracial people that were decribing themselves. I don't understand why it would be offensive.
    DDry

Answer by DDry at 2:32 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I am not sure if it is considered a racist thing in the USA but in some part of Latin America I know it is considered as an offensive term specially among men.
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 2:36 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• what do you think? This is a term that my white ( grew up with no blacks in area) used to describe "mixed" Children...
    Anonymous

• I have mixed feelings on this word (no pun intended). but for the most part it is not racist unless used in disdain or to put some one down. "Tragic mullato" is however a racist remark. most people tend to use the PC term mixed though because mullato refers to a black/white mixed person and some times it is hard to tell what a person is mixed with even if you yourself are mixed!
    MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 2:55 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• wow, I have not heard that term in decades. It's something I run across in genealogy. It's a term that the old timers used to described someone of mixed races in census records. I can't imagine anyone using it nowadays.

Answer by admckenzie at 2:56 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• It is not racist. The term racist refers to those whose interest it is to see an official separation of people based on ethnicity and/or skin color.

The term 'mullato' is archane and is used by those who are not sensitive to strides in improving how people of differing ethnicities communicate with and about one another.

There is no legitimate use of this term in today's society. So I would say it is not racist. It's just insensitive as it is a term that has never had a positive place in social conversation.
    Angebor

Answer by Angebor at 2:59 PM on Apr. 13, 2009