Leg Cramping every night....

I have recently been having a lot of leg cramps at night and i feel like it could be something wrong but i do walk around at work a lot. is there anything i can take to get rid of this pain to help me sleep better at night or do i just have to live with it. i have tried many different things putting my feet up sleeping with my legs on my fiance` trying not to move so much at night heating pads but nothing seems to work very well any advice on how to get rid of this or do i need to tell my doctor?

mommy2b924

Asked by mommy2b924 at 2:34 PM on Apr. 13, 2009 in Pregnancy

• you may have restless leg syndrome. I would call your doc and make a appt. If it is RLS there is meds to help. ; ]
    Kbmancine

Answer by Kbmancine at 2:41 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Well, towards the end of my pregnancy, I would wake up Charlie Horses in my leg. Try to eat more bananas, because of the potassium. Also, try your best not to flex your foot (with your toes pointed).
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 2:42 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• It may be a potassium deficiency. In which case, eat bananas. However, ARE YOU EATING TUMS? When I was pregnant I had terrible heartburn, so I chewed tums. I had some horrendous leg cramps at night that were so bad I could not even yell out. My doctor asked if I was taking Tums, and I was. She explained I was actually getting too much calcium, as Tums has calcium, and so did my prenatals. So, it could be either issue. Drink plenty of fluids, eat a banana every day, take your prenatals and don't eat tums.
    kara_g.

Answer by kara_g. at 2:46 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• actually i can't eat bananas because they give me heartburn i might be starting to get allergic to them and then thats when i will eat tums so i have an app next week i will bring it up
    mommy2b924

Answer by mommy2b924 at 2:49 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• A lack of potassium can cause cramping, so try eating foods with more potassium and bring it up to your doc at the next visit. That's what I would do anyway =] I also had TERRIBLE charlie horses in my calves with my first pregnancy. GL
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 2:55 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I had the same issue I asked my doctor about it and she said I was lacking in calcium and that I needed to either drink more milk or take a supplment so far I have been drinking more milk and have had less leg cramps.
    virgomom1988

Answer by virgomom1988 at 4:36 PM on Apr. 13, 2009