I want a smoke

But I hope to quit today. SCHIP seems great, but I can't afford the price hike! Would you share ways you quit cold-turkey? Being able to purchase gum, patches or other quitting aides is probably unlikely, because I heard they raised the price on that stuff too. Regular sugar-free gum has helped me in the past, but I've been chewing so much that my jaw is sore and popping...no more gum for a while lol

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:35 PM on Apr. 13, 2009 in Just for Fun

• when i first started smoking i coulnd't quit but then i realized i don't need this to help keep me going because it is such an inconvience don't think bout it when you want one try to think about something else
    mommy2b924

Answer by mommy2b924 at 2:38 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I decided to quit when trying to get pregnant. I tried Wellbutrin, which seemed to help but then I started back up again. Then one day I decided, I'm done smoking. One Tuesday I just gave it up. Throughout that year I must admit I smoked while drinking, which isn't often, but a year later I got pregnant and didn't have a cigarette until 4 months after my son was born when I went out drinking with some college friends. Now at 7 months, I haven't had one since that night. It's hard but once you get through the first couple weeks, it gets easier. I still crave cigarettes every once in awhile, but you learn to deal with the cravings! Good luck! I wish it was as easy for all people as it was me.
    Anonymous

• Suck on candy, or try to fold laundry (that's always never ending) or do lunges, or something. Once you smoke the first then you figure it'll be fine to smoke the next and the next Good Luck!
    MAyers

Answer by MAyers at 2:39 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Old timey hard candy sticks (peppermint, horehound, etc) really helped me.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 2:41 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Well first I would like to congratulate you in your decision of a healthier and happier you. I suggest you volunteer a few hours in a hospital Hospice so you will be helping people dying from lung cancer and seeing at first hand what you are deciding to try to avoid. Then, write down in a journal when are you more likely to crave a smoke, after a meal, after stressful situation, etc. Then, replace the habit with a different thing like eating carrots, or simply remembering those who you saw at hospice. Quitting is difficult but continuing is impossible after you have seeing at first hand the outcome. I am not trying to preach but I honestly think that my suggestion could help. Best luck to you and I hope with all my heart that you have within you to make it through the day without a smoke one day at a time.
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 2:46 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Drink water when you want a smoke. Like I mean a full glass. I do it when Im not sure if Im hungry or not, and it worked when I was prego and quit too. Good luck!!
    serioussifL

Answer by serioussifL at 2:46 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• It sounds really stupid.. but when you have the urge to smoke a cigarette, just pretend with a rolled up piece of paper. Do the breathing too, like "inhale" and exhale how you normally would.

That helped me quit. Strange I know, but give it a try!
    GL :]
    MandyOs

Answer by MandyOs at 2:46 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I just quit cold turkey. It was sooo hard after a meal or when drinking liquor or coffee, but I had a scare with a spot on my lung that a chest x-ray found. I have 5 kids. How unfair of me to risk my life and orphan them over a bad habbit. Good luck to you! Just think of you kids and it will seem a bit easier.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 3:02 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• My fiancees grandmother had to get oral cancer and tremors before she could quit
    My grandfather got lung cancer and speech problems before he could quit
    My fiancees father has almost no teeth and still cant stop
    Hang up pics and articles of what could happen to you.
    Also remember how much you must stink and seem rude to non-smokers.
    It helped alot of people I know.
    Sometimes fear of what it could do to you works better than desire to quit.
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 3:06 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• All of the hospitals around here have free smoking cessation groups. You might try looking into that sort of thing. There may be something around there. Also, I live in Ohio and there is a quit smoking line where you call for assistance. They give counseling and supposedly pay for patches. (I'm not a smoker, but DH just quit.) Good Luck!
    CrazyMom5480

Answer by CrazyMom5480 at 3:07 PM on Apr. 13, 2009