What do you think about facilities going to a no smoking allowed policy for their employee's?

I think it is very wrong to not hire someone because they smoke... and pre screening them for it and giving random nicotine tests. While I see why, I am not a smoker- but the smokers where I work get TONS more breaks then me, because they need to smoke so its fair in that aspect... but why not try and limit breaks better?

amy31308

Asked by amy31308 at 2:38 PM on Apr. 13, 2009 in Money & Work

• I think its bullshit!
    Kbmancine

Answer by Kbmancine at 2:39 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I see it from a insurance standpoint. A smoker is going to have more med bills in the future.

BUT in a lot of places they are doing that kind of thing about MANY heath related things that should be private. Like being overweight, high cholesterol, and blood pressure. They wont hire you or cover your insurance if you dont get those things under control.

But if I had a business I wouldnt hire them b/c of all the breaks they require. That annoys me. Just b/c I dont have a nasty habit I get less breaks. Uggg......
    Anonymous

• As a manager I think it's a good idea. You're right, smokers tend to take more breaks. It's a smelly dirty habit. The smell is on the smoker, and if you deal with the public, it's gross. I manage a dog kennel, and in the past when it was allowed, even though they would use a butt bucket, the wind would always carry the butts into the outdoor runs for the dogs. It takes very little nicotine to kill a pup. So in my world, it's a good idea to have no smoking at the workplace. It comes down to a safety issue for us.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 2:54 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• My husbands company doesn't have a policy against smoking in general, but if you smoke, your insurance premiums cost you $50 a month more than non-smokers.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 2:55 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I agree with Firelass.

I cant tell you how many times I have walked into a store and had to walk THROUGH smoke to get in, That ticks me off, then me and my children smell like it, blahhh.

As a customer, I avoid going in stores where the employees are smoking out front. That is NEVER a good thing for buisiness.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 2:58 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I do think it is wrong not to hire someone cause they smoke but I do understand it, especially if the employer furnishes insurance. Smokers do take tons of breaks! I never can find my smoking co-workers! It is annoying.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 3:29 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• It would be discrimination not to hire someone b/c they smoke the same as you can't not hire someone b/c of their weight. But have a rule about not smoking at work? That's possible and I'm all for it. In our state we are finding fewer and fewer smokers. And even at the business where I work, there are fewer smokers, BUT, even as late as last year, the smokers would stand at the door and when the door opened a little more, the smoke was pulled in all the way to the front door like a suction! I hated that.

When we had classes, the breaks were all according to if the teacher was a smoker. If she was, boom, we had a dozen breaks. If not, one, maybe.
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 4:06 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• My husbands company does not allow for smoke breaks and does no allow smoking on campus. Only a couple dozen people out of 3k people smoke. They have to leave campus on their two 15 minute breaks and 30 minute lunch. The few smokers have complained but the company is not required to provide them a place or give extra breaks for those with serious nicotine addition issues. They also provide gym memberships for all employees and their families. They give deep discounts to all who don't smoke and are physically in good shape. Our 1 million in life, our medical, dental and vision insurance is 80 a month. A smoker who is overweight would spend three times that.

p>
    Cont.
    Anonymous

• Cont.
    Within a year of the new policies being implemented absences have gone down and productivity has gone way up. They save money because they are not hiring temps and filling positions because people are fired for so many absences. My husband quit smoking and lost 40lbs and I am so glad he started working there.
    Anonymous

• I think as long as smoking is legal it should be legal to do. I am VERY against non-smoking only buildings. I think ALL public businesses/buildings should have to designate smoking areas.

Just as a note, I'm a non-smoker!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:50 PM on Apr. 13, 2009