Is a week to long for a punishment?

My daughter is 13 and had a half day, she called me as soon as she came home, I left work early and found out she went out-then she called me at 3:30pm, I told her to come home, she said she would> I had to search for her, finally the search was over around 7:30 pm (mind you I had an appointment that day at 5:30 which I could not miss), so I punished her for a week, and told her next time talk to me, she was crying n over reacting because she was wrong I didn't yell, I explained she wouldn't be punished if she would abide by the house rules . Do think that was harsh? ANy suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:43 PM on Apr. 13, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• nope thats good. tell her if shes grown up enough to think she doesnt hav to listen then shes grown up enough to suffer the consequences. sit her down and tell her u want to explain to her wut she did. and tell her if she behaves she might get out a day or 2 early but the next time she doesnt listen she gets an extra day of punishment.
    xhellxfirex495

Answer by xhellxfirex495 at 2:46 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Sounds fair.
    Anonymous

• I agree with the first comment.
    momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 2:49 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• The week-long punishment seems proportional to the act. More importantly, however, the fact that she is housebound reinforces that she has to be accountable to you for her whereabouts.

Her initial reaction notwithstanding, You've provided your dear daughter the right kind of consequence both in what it is and how long it is. That's great parenting on your part. Good job, mom!

At the end of the punishment, make sure you remind her of your expectations and tell her that you are confident that she will respect the rules in the future. In the same conversation, hug her and reaffirm that you love her. Even if you do this often, doing it when you pronounce the punishment over will, again, provide a good balance of parental discipline and support.

Angela
    Angebor

Answer by Angebor at 2:53 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• sounds like a just punishment to me. Just stick to what you say, and hopefully this punishment will drill it into her head that shes supposed to do what she says.
    serioussifL

Answer by serioussifL at 2:53 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I think it sounds good. When my kids would do this, I explained that it came down to trust. By letting them go out away from me, it was about trust. That I could trust that THEY would do the right thing. When they did this same thing a couple times, my punishment to them would be that they couldn't go out, because I couldn't trust them to do the right thing. They learned real quick to be trustworthy. The burden was on them.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 2:57 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Sounds like the punishment fits the crime.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 6:00 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• NOT HARSH AT ALL, NEXT TIME SHE WILL CALL!

Answer by older at 7:55 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• sounds reasonable.. fits the crime so to speak.
    Anonymous

• Not harsh at all! She is 13! If you start having problems with her know just image what it will be like when she is 16! Nip it in the butt now! A week, plus no Ipod, No TV, Nothing! She needs to know you mean buisness!
    Vanessannd

Answer by Vanessannd at 6:46 AM on Apr. 14, 2009