Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Qualifications for assistance of Welfare

I was a waitress at a local restaurant, until I got pregnant for the 2nd time. My 1st Child she is 5 years old, her father isn't in her life at all, no assistance from him. I live by myself, I have help from Family for a babysitter. I left my job at the restaurant due to my pregnancy was high risk. I'm not married to the 2nd babies father & we don't live together. Can I get A Welfare Check & How?? I need to get back on my feet, It's been really hard being a Single Parent now I'm having a 2nd Child at 24 probably by myself yet again.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 2:45 PM on Apr. 13, 2009 in Money & Work

Answers (8)
  • You need to contact your local welfare office.

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:48 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

  • Contact the welfare office and set up an appointment. You should qualify.

    Answer by brailynsmama08 at 2:55 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

  • Just apply and give them all the required info, telling them just what you said here. They will of course contact the child support enforcers and try to recoup from him. You can't expect welfare to pay for a child when there is a father somewhere. He doesn't really get to choose to not pay.

    Answer by EireLass at 2:58 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

  • Get on birthcontrol so there isnt different daddies for all your kids to come. Are you with this guy?

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:01 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

  • He isn't on the Birth Certificate. My friend has 3 Children and she gets a welfare check each month for them, and their fathers don't pay child support either.

    Answer by sexylilme09 at 3:01 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

  • We're together, but we don't live together. We dated for 3 months and I got pregnant. My 1st Childs dad we date on and off, but we weren't dating when I got pregannt. So he was concerned it wasn't his and I didn't put his nam eon the birth certificate because I don't want him to have any legal rights.

    Answer by sexylilme09 at 3:03 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

  • You need to go to the social service ept. In your state and apply for medical and food stamps and they will help you with food pantries. Some food pantry will have clothes for u and your children. WIC is another good prgram too to find out at the social service place. They provide fomulas and food for you and your children. Hope that helps

    Answer by lily7 at 3:41 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

  • You're talking about 2 different things. Having him on the birth certificate and his obligation (NOT OURS) to support your children. His children. They will give you support to a point, then they will request and name and location of the father. They will then order a DNA test IN the courthouse. You will name someone or they will stop payment.

    Answer by EireLass at 7:22 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.