Non-Christians: Is it offensive to you . . .

When a good friend tells you "I'll be praying for you" after you tell them something horrible that has happened (death of a loved one, loss of a job, natural disaster).

Remember that the statement is coming from a FRIEND not a stranger.

Here's why I ask. I'm one of those people that don't just arbitrarily say "I'll pray for you". Generally, if I don't know the person, I know that they just may not want my prayer. But if I have a good friend that is hurting, I have no problem praying for them to have peace or for things to get better for them. Usually, if I tell one of my non-Christian friends this, they'll respond with "Thank you hon, it's appreciated" b/c they know my intentions are loving and good.

Have you had a good friend say this to you and felt offended by it?

jennijune_21

Asked by jennijune_21 at 2:55 PM on Apr. 13, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I"m not religous, but I don't get offended. I know that they mean well. If I were to get offended, then tome that is putting down their beliefs, when I don't want them putting down mine.
    williesmama1

Answer by williesmama1 at 2:58 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I'm not sure I understand.....why would I be offended if ANYONE said they will pray for me, with good intentions? Isnt that a caring gesture? So whether its a stranger or a friend, I would not be offended at all.
    Anonymous

• Not just anyone, but SPECIFICALLY a friend.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 2:59 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I have a very dear Christian friend... and she knows that I am a Witch... we have had many many convo's regarding each others beliefs and always end with alot of laughter on both ends...
    She asked me if it would offend me if she were to ever say "I will pray for you" I told her no only bc depending on what the reasoning is, then all the power could be needed..lol...
    for ex. my dh and I are going to start adoption procedings on our gs whom we have been raising his whole 8 yrs... and we had had some problems with his bm (my dd) in the past over custody issues (tho she has always lost, she likes the hurt it causes our gs) and my friend would say when the time comes do you mind if I pray for you and I am like... Yea! need all the power to get thru it... ;)
    So no it doesn't bother me...in a way it's their way of showing thier love for you bc there is most likely nothing more than pray they can do for you to help...(JMO)
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 3:14 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• kinda. I mean if it's a good friend and they mean well, it's ok. but it's just as easy to say " i'll keep you in my thoughts" or something.
    NoahsMomma418

Answer by NoahsMomma418 at 3:15 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• well, if it is for a reason like a tragedy illness whatever, no no offense. If it is said during a discussion about how they are right and I am wrong and they say it like I need their prayers to see the light (their light) then it is degrading.
    gonefishin

Answer by gonefishin at 3:52 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Answered at 2:52 PM on Apr. 13, 2009 by: gonefishin
    well, if it is for a reason like a tragedy illness whatever, no no offense. If it is said during a discussion about how they are right and I am wrong and they say it like I need their prayers to see the light (their light) then it is degrading.
    **
    I agree with you whole heartedly on this. I never tell anyone "I'll pray for you" as a debating tool - and it kinda upsets me when I see other Christians doing just that.

Thank you guys for your input, I really appreciate it!
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 3:56 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I have many good friends who are Christian.  It is not offensive to me when they say they will pray for me in times of hardship because the intent  is love and support, unlike strangers who only say it to be condescending.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 3:57 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I just take it as coming from a good place and say thank you.
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 4:04 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• No, I never feel offended when someone tells me they'll pray for me in that sense.

To me, a prayer is the same as good thoughts, wishes, spells, etc...it's ALL good :)
    Anonymous