Is Purina Puppy Chow good for both my pitbull and my lab/shepard?

I heard there's some types of food that are bad for pits and that we should find something meat based but I am having a hard time doing so. My pit is almost 4 months and my lab/shepard is 3.5 months I don't know if Purina Puppy Chow is the best choice for both or niether...?

Asked by sxc_mami1 at 3:07 PM on Apr. 13, 2009 in Pets

• puppy chow is good for puppies. I really don't think it matters that much. My dad and I had pits that ate puppy chow then dog chow.

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:10 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I believe Purina Puppy Chow is meat based.

Answer by jamesmommy12 at 3:16 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• a puppy is a puppy no matter what the breed is. my pit eats iams puppy large breed

Answer by tnteaton at 5:15 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• There are puppy foods out there that say for large breeds or small. I found those at Petco and Petsmart.

Answer by blujeanlady62 at 5:37 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• PLEASE don't feed your pets this food, please go to a good pet store, ask a knowledgable sales person about filler free foods, discuss particular health issues with them, and spend the extra $$ to buy your pet the right food.

Answer by aprildrake at 6:49 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I have to say as a breeder you should look at what's in the food your feeding your dogs. The ingredients are listed on the package. Most store bought brands, like Purina, are mostly fillers (corn, meal, rice etc) not much "real meat". It is "very important" for animals (dogs and cats) to get real meat. We use Natural Balance Lamb formula and mix in 1/2 cup of salmon, buffalo, veal, duck or chicken. I then put 1 teaspoon of flax seed on top. Our lab/golden mix absolutely loves this combination and his coat is just beautiful and he hardly sheds. He is strong and healthy. If you're going to have a pet please take the best care of them. They are depending on you. Here are a few brands that are good: Natural Balance, Wellness, Royal Canin, there are more of course. For training I cut up fresh salmon pieces which are Max's favorite. Have a happy dog!!

Answer by surferwifeof3 at 9:44 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Purina is crap dog need to go to Petsmart and get Nutro or Science diet that is MADE for large breed dogs...we have 2 pit/lab mixes and they eat Science Diet adult large breed. $35 a bag for 40 pounds. You will be better off spending the money on good food.

Answer by calliesmommie at 10:29 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Some of the best foods are , Canidae, Innova, Blue Buffalo and Timberwolf. All have their own websites, and tell you where they are sold. They are more expensive, but they are worth it , as they are all natural and contain no fillers, crap or junk. Purina foods are terrible and fail in the dog food rating tests. Here is a listing for a good dog food rating scale Also if you google Dog Food Ratings, you will find lots of dog food comparisons. I own Pit Bulls and they can be sensitive to a foods ingredients, more so than other dogs,but i hate to see any dog eating crappy dog food.

Answer by Mom2PunkRockers at 9:15 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I have always had my pit eat purina,

She wouldnt eat anything else!

Answer by LexsiesMommy at 10:07 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I agree 100% with calliesmommie. it is NOT good food AT ALL. Its junk. Go raw, or feed premium grade dog food (merricks, Solid Gold just to name a few)

Answer by babycakes254 at 11:51 AM on Apr. 14, 2009