Do you feel less of a woman if you had a C section instead of a "natural" birth?

Some act like you havent gone through a women's 'rite of passage' if you dont have a vaginal birth....why? And I really get annoyed by the people who act like giving birth with no drugs or anything is the only way to give birth....corny much?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:14 PM on Apr. 13, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I think the ones that CHOOSE to have a c-section are just scared to have a vaginal birth. Since when were we able to choose that? Like all these celebrities are choosing that over vaginal. There was a time when c-sections were considered emergencies! But yes, we are all women who have babies one way or another. Now drugs or no drugs, if it was that bad for your baby, why the hell would DOCTORS offer it? It is totally monitored and fine. Dont be jealous because I was able to enjoy giving birth instead of being in pain and agony. I am happy with my experience
    Anonymous

• My sister had 3 c-sections due to her first son almost dying while she was pushing. She had a rough time at first then realized it was best for her and him. Her dr wouldn't do a vbac although she wanted one due to the risk. I had a vaginal birth and to us it doesn't matter how they come out as long as they are healthy and happy. They have to come out one way or another so whatever is safest for you and the baby.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 3:16 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• That's like saying a woman who has not given birth at all is not a woman. Stupidity. I have had three c-sections and I'm every bit a woman as the next.
    Silvertears1275

Answer by Silvertears1275 at 3:16 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• What we are refering to is those that know the risk of drugs yet still refuse to try do it naturally. Not those that have to have a c-section. There is a big difference. Just like those that never even attempt to BF, not those that have to give it up because they can't.
    Anonymous

• People have all kinds of ways of making themselves feel more special or others, less special.

there is no rite of passage served through how your baby comes out of you. A mother is made by the nurturing and loving attendance she gives to her children. The stuff that people say about how babies are born is just a ridicualous distraction to the specialness of childbirth itself.

We should enjoy our pregnancies and deliveries as they come. Appreciating those moments will yield great memories in our future...says the mom of 5!

Angela
    Angebor

Answer by Angebor at 3:18 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Ignore them I say! :) You are just as much a woman if you give birth by c-section than you are giving birth "naturally". Maybe they are jealous because(in my experience anyway,and i had two of them) the recovery time is much much quicker after a c-section than vaginal. LOL Although you do have to work harder to tone up your belly, but I have to say I'll take the flab over frustration and pain any day. And I had natural deliveries with my first two, until my poor little "danda" suffered the pain and agony of delivering a 10 pounder...that was it for me drug free LOL

Just because people think it's right for them does NOT make it right for you. Your own personal birth plans do not have to be the same as everyone else's. It's your personal memory not theirs. :)
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 3:19 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• corny much much!!!! having a baby physically is childbirth. if the baby came out of your nose or your ear instead of your vajayjay or uterus the baby still lived in your body and was born physically from it. i wouldn't worry about it. i had three csections with one baaaaad labor. it is to though, just amazing that some women are physically strong enough to push out that baby and others of us are physically strong enough to with stand major abdominal surgery to have our babies. we're all equal.
    Anonymous

• Well, I had an emergency c-section, and I'm no less mom than the next. The only important thing to me was the end result . . a beautiful healthy child.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 3:21 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I have had three natural births meaning no medical interventions.
    I don't think any less of those who have c-sections. I was a chicken and didn't want major surgery. I would rather have one day of pain than six weeks or more recovering fro a c-sec.
    I don't see anything wrong with a medically necessary c-section.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 3:23 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• If you carry a baby in your body and deliver that baby by C-section, you are a mother...100% a mother. It doesn't matter how the baby is delivered. Haven't we discussed this before? LOL.
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 3:25 PM on Apr. 13, 2009