Is it wrong?

Ok so my mom had a puppy that was part lab part German shepherd she did really good for a long time then one day out of the blue she bit my dd on the face and left a welt that lasted for days so my mom gave her away and my friend asked about the puppy and said it was wrong of my mom to give her away because she was a puppy and al puppies bite. Was that wrong??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:16 PM on Apr. 13, 2009 in Pets

• Heck no it wasn't wrong. Any dog that bit my child would be a dead dog.
    DDry

Answer by DDry at 3:17 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• No. They are animals and there is no prediction of their behavior and you have to do what is best when children are involved.

Anonymous

• I think it depends on the age of the dog and how nippy it is naturally. If the dog is a bit of an older puppy and kind of nippy I would definately get rid of it. On the other hand if the puppy was young and does not normally do that it could probably be trained.
    jamesmommy12

Answer by jamesmommy12 at 3:20 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• No. I got rid of a dog once when he bit my nephew. I will not keep a biter! Does your friend even have kids? If so, I hope she never gets a dog. Good grief, I think you did right!
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 3:21 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• just how young of a puppy are we talking about here??

when a dog intentionally bites a child in the face, the dog has to be put down. --or at the very least, kept away from children 100%. the dog can never be trusted with a kid again.

kimberleee382

Answer by kimberleee382 at 5:47 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• it was WRONG! SHE SHOULD HAVE PUT THE DOG DOWN!
    aprildrake

Answer by aprildrake at 7:07 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Aprildrake is right. It's incredibly irresponsible to rehome an aggressive dog that bites. An animal that is human aggressive should be euthanized. However if this was puppy nipping behavior, she should have just trained her dog instead of giving it away.

aurorabunny

Answer by aurorabunny at 7:13 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• It depends greatly with the situations. A HUMAN AGGRESSIVE DOG needs to be euthanized, a puppy who is untrained , and who is exhibiting nipping behavior needs to be enrolled in a PUPPY TRAINING CLASS immediately and worked with to combat its TYPICAL PUPPY BEHAVIOR. There is a difference between aggression and an untrained animal, particularly when they are babies, its a matter of training and socialization with pups.
    Mom2PunkRockers

Answer by Mom2PunkRockers at 7:59 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• We have a French Mastiff that is 105 pounds, and STILL a puppy. We also have 4 kids and I do in home child care. If our dog ever nipped at one of my kids or someone elses he would be put down. Now when he was a very small puppy we taught him that nipping and/or mouthing was not allowed with the kids. A properly trained dog is a wonderful thing.

Now in answer to your question, it would depend on the dogs age. I personally feel that any dog older than 4 months that still nips should either go to a home where he can be properly trained or put to sleep. But that's JMO.
    Anonymous

• All puppies go through a learning stage, they play bite but they shouldn't draw blood. You can teach them that it's not okay to bite with proper training. If a puppy it taken away from it's mother too soon then it doesn't have a role model to help them learn not to do certain things including biting. Puppies should be at least 12 weeks old before they leave their mom. Their moms will teach them that it's not okay to bite her or others hard. This is an important step for the puppies. If they have been taken from their mothers early then it's up to you as their new mother to teach them it's not okay to bite with training and dicipline. Thoughts from a breeder.
    surferwifeof3

Answer by surferwifeof3 at 8:59 PM on Apr. 13, 2009