my DD made herself throw up!

She had been trying to stick her fist in her mouth all day, I tried not to overly discourage her because at 10 months old, she is learning to self-feed right now. I didn't want to confuse by yelling at her for sticking her hand in her mouth. Last night, She ended up throwing up because she hit triggered her gag reflex. She had vomit all over herself and her walker.... I was panicked. She was fine though. Is this normal? How did you prevent your baby from doing this? Thanks!

rachelsmommy78

Asked by rachelsmommy78 at 3:27 PM on Apr. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My kids used to do this and they are just fine. It's normal for babies to explore things including their hands and fists. She will learn eventually not to do this. No need to panick.
    surferwifeof3

Answer by surferwifeof3 at 8:47 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I think a lot of kids end up gagging themselves while chewing on their hands. It's normal. Relax. As long as she doesn't do it constantly.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:29 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Emi hasn't made herself throw up, but she has made herself gag. They learn not to do it pretty quickly.
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 3:31 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• They will learn how far they can put their finger in their mouth. My daughter was doing that at about 4 months and she would vomit and be fine, she is now 7 months and knows her finger can only go so far.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 3:35 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• lol.. jb still does this at 17m.. He drives me nuts.. he thinks its funny(he has a weird sense od humor).. anyhoo.. i wouldnt worry..
    HottMamaRossx2

Answer by HottMamaRossx2 at 3:39 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I would think she wouldnt do it again as no one likes to throw up,she sould learn from it o her own.
    Chrystal_A

Answer by Chrystal_A at 4:06 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• My 9 month old does that all the time...she doesn't actually vomit, but she gags.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 4:16 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• yeah.. its a learning experiance. She will probably stop now. Only one of my kids actually made himself throw up, the other three just would gag. It took the other three a week or two to loose curiosity, the one that threw up, has yet to stick his hand in his mouth since.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 4:25 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Normal. Not much you can do b/c the attention they got from you for trying to stop it actually encourages it. Try to ignore it.
    Anonymous