Do renters get their "initial deposit" (no deductions) once the lease is over if they decide to move out?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:28 PM on Apr. 13, 2009 in Money & Work

• If it was stated as a refundable deposit, and the home was left in good condition, then yes.
    dreamdancer79

Answer by dreamdancer79 at 3:29 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• YEs if the landlord agrees to it. It all depends on how you leave the house. I have gotten mine back a few times and I get the full amount. Sometimes they keep money for painting and cleaning depending on how much damage you did.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 3:30 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• State laws vary, but here in PA if the lease says it is a refundable deposit and not used as the last months rent and there is little damage to the unit then yes, but the landlord has 30 days to provide it and only has to provide it if given a forwarding address to send it to. They do not have to hunt you down to give it back. They can also say that there is that much money in damage done and if you want it back you must sue them to get it. Not a fun thing from what I understand. Most renters do not plan on getting it back from what I understand.
    Anonymous

• the answer anon :33 gave is the same for VA and MS. and usually in VA even if there is no damage they will save at least part for painting and carpet cleaning
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 3:39 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• It depends. We paid 1900 at our last place as a deposit. They sent us an itemized statment claiming we had torn the place up and broke everything and tried to charge us 5k. We thankfully, took pictures and had our copy of our walk thru that stated we would get our full deposit. I emailed copies of it all to them and in a week I had my 1900 bucks.

I would take pictures and have in writing that everything is fine with your unit. This was in California and the landlords there are ruthless.
    Anonymous

• Most standard leases, yes you get your deposit back minus any charges they had to deduct for any damages. Normal wear and tear is not counted. All rental property (usually) has to have the carpet cleaned and walls freshly painted when a tenent move out anyway. If there was more cleaning involved than that, they will deduct. Every apartment we have ever moved out of has always given us a check list of what needed to be cleaned before we left. One time we just didn't feel like messing with it all and just left it. They only kept like $50 for cleaning because we left it in good condition, just not clean.
    Anonymous

• They should get back what they paid minus what it takes to "clean" and paint the apartment after they move. They should not get back all of their deposit. Unless they have a separate "cleaning deposit".
    surferwifeof3

Answer by surferwifeof3 at 8:43 PM on Apr. 13, 2009