Baby Signing Times

I'm interested in teaching my child simple sign language. I've heard a lot about a dvd called Signing Times, that teaches babies to sign what they need before they learn to tell you. Does any one know the effectiveness of these dvd's? Are they worth the money, and where would I buy them? I've looked at walmart and fred meyer here in town, and i cant find them.

LoniRae89

Asked by LoniRae89 at 3:43 PM on Apr. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I HIGHLY recommend Signing Times!!! You can find them on Ebay or from their own website if you chose to buy them.

Most libraries carry some, so you can check them out there!

I found the design of the Signing Time dvd's to be not only beneficial to their signing, but also to their speech! Oh yes! I strongly recommend them!

Oh...and they teach ASL, not any of the other knock-off systems. So the baby is actually learning a language!
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:59 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I haven't heard of it, but, there is a Baby Einstein video with signing. It is pretty good. And you could look for some simple signs online and use them with your child.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:47 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I used the "My Baby Can Talk" series. My daughter loved them and they give short descriptions that help YOU remember how to make the sign too.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:00 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Yes, Signing TIme and Baby Signing Time are much better than Baby Einstein. My daughter knows hundreds of signs from these. She ended up being really verbal, so she started saying the words pretty much at the same time, but it was good for that, too. And she's 22 months and still loves to sign. I'd start around 8-10 months on the Baby Signing Time volumes and then move to the regular Signing Time if you wish. The volumes for Baby are nice, slow, repetitive, but really well done. The volumes for the older kids are ok, but not every sign is useful and there are a lot of signs. My daughter started around 11 months, but my second daughter will start soon. Good luck!
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 9:38 PM on Apr. 13, 2009