If a man's motility and viscosity is low, is he out of luck getting his wife pregnant?

My husband's first semen analysis came back with low motility and low viscosity. Are we out of luck getting pregnant? Anyone else been through this? Is there any way to improve our chances? We are waiting on the results of his second analysis... I am hoping for good news.

SWKansasmomma

Asked by SWKansasmomma at 3:43 PM on Apr. 13, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• It'll be tough, but not impossible. Low motility means that he has that much fewer sperm that will swim up to meet the egg.

Make sure you guys refrain from sex for 72 hours for optimal results.

If his second test comes back low, then artificial insemination, where they concentrate the motile sperm, may be your best option.

Good luck! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 4:26 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• It's not impossible. Especially if you are open to In Vitro Fertilization or IVF. They are able to fertilize your eggs for you (ICSI). They take the best and most motile sperm from the sample and basically inject them into the egg. My Stepfather had low motility and this was the way my youngest brother was conceived. There are still options.

You could also try Pre-Seed, which is a sperm friendly lubricant, during sex to try and help the little guys out.
    littlemrsmarcel

Answer by littlemrsmarcel at 4:49 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• also, after sex, raise your bottom by resting it on a pillow or two, it will help tilt your vagina and gravity can help his sperm reach the egg ^_^
    llansky

Answer by llansky at 5:00 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I have only known 1 man to have low motility and viscosity - info through his wife of course. They ended up having to go through IVF their options were donor sperm or him getting surgery to cultivate sperm. They opted for surgery, and had 2 rounds of IVF of which only 1 was successful.
    Supervane

Answer by Supervane at 5:18 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• My FIL had this problem. He was told to stop wearing briefs and go to boxers lol. It took 4 years but they had Alex and then Robert :)
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 7:02 PM on Apr. 13, 2009