finger food difficulty...normal or not?

my son is 9 months. he used to like to try to feed himself when i would spoon feed him but now he doesn't any more.... he will grab the spoon but when he does he will only toss it up and down.... but he will feed himself bitter biscuits. but anything that is small like puffs and gold fish he will only toss and push around. if i offer it to him and bring it to his mouth then he will open and eat it... does this sound normal? how can i encourage him to feed himself? Oh and if his baby food spills he will only play in it and not eat it...I go to his 9 month check up thurday afternoon i am just wondering what you all think and if there is any advice or suggestions before hand....

8firsttimemom8

Asked by 8firsttimemom8 at 3:54 PM on Apr. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Every baby is different...it is still very early - you have plenty of time. Try to relax about it... he may be feeling the pressure. =) You could try feeding him at a different time...maybe he isn't hungry enough at the times you're currently feeding him. You could try eating with him...mimicking you is a baby's favorite past time. You could try finger foods in a bowl (my daughter loves eating finger foods out of a bowl...I get the kind with the suction cup so it sticks to the tray). You could try feeding baby a few bites and then walking away. Once a few bites go down, sometimes that stimulates hunger and then baby will be more motivated to get the food themselves.

Good Luck!
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 4:13 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• sounds like you need to work on the fine motor skills with him.Id hand him one of the small items and hlp him bring his hand to his mouth,offer him small snacks often.I put the babies in high chairs about 10 minutes before a meal and give them finger food(cherrios,gerber puffs,fruit loops,yogurt melts etc) and out of bordem they often discover just how to work those fingers-just be sure thy know the food is on the tray.As long as you have no concerns with vision(crossed eyes,pupil dialation,trouble focusing,adjusting to light etc) then Im sure hes fine.
    Chrystal_A

Answer by Chrystal_A at 4:05 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Just keep putting the small pieces of food out for him to pick up and try.
    He might not be all that interested in solid food and that's okay, too.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 4:12 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• My daughter is 9 months and does the same thing. If I bring the puff to her mouth, she eats it, but if I put them on the tray, she pushes around and doesn't seem to care. She is actively trying to pick it up, but when she can't, she just looks at me to put it in her mouth or screams. What a joy dinner time is!!! I think you just keep putting finger foods down so he can work on motor skills, with the understanding that until he masters it, some food may end up on the floor, in his lap, or otherwise, and you will have to follow up with putting stuff in his mouth so he gets fed.

I agree with others - it is VERY early to worry about this - just keep trying.
    rabbate

Answer by rabbate at 12:31 PM on Apr. 14, 2009