How often do the grandparents of your children watch them?

MoMMyto2971

Asked by MoMMyto2971 at 4:00 PM on Apr. 13, 2009 in General Parenting

• We live with my mil so she keeps them a lot and my mom will keep them 1 weekend out of the month.
    mama2twins07

Answer by mama2twins07 at 4:03 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• My mom has kept my daughter 4 times in 7 months due to me living in another state but she keeps my sisters kids 4 days a week while she works. If I lived in Ohio she would keep her whenever I want or need her to or whenever she wanted to.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 4:03 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• my mother and brother live with us so they watch her quite often. i don't work though so its usually while i run an errand or just a quick trip to the store
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 4:05 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• My Mom watches him 3 days a week when I work and we go stay with my MIL on the weekends so she gets to hang out with him....and it gives DH and me a night out once in awhile!!! He's only 5 weeks old so the new grandmas want to see him all the time!
    CassiRae3

Answer by CassiRae3 at 4:09 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• My parents rarely ever kept my kids and if I asked it was as if I asked for $1 million bucks. My dad keeps my brothers kids a good bit and goes to games and such but never to my kids. I am a grandmother and I keep her as much as I can. I do as much as I can for her and my son and his wife. I have a large family myself at home still so she fits right in. I am very easy going and laid back and I will attend all of her activities that I can to support her.
    I am still young and I love free time but I had rather have her and my kids with me!!!
    JLynn0871

Answer by JLynn0871 at 4:10 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I'm a grandmother and only watch them if necessary, They had them. They can watch them. We're not your automatic babysitter and i told my kids that before they had children. They respect me and I respect them. I help when I have to but I did my time raising kids. I have a life now and I don't want it made secondary to grandkids.
    Anonymous

• My in-laws live 2000 miles away so they don't see our boys much, maybe 2 times a year... My parents are both deceased so they are either with us or when they visit their bio-dad, he lives with his Mom so she gets to see them 2 weekends a month ,and alternating holidays, and 6 weeks in the summer.... I'm glad they get time with her, she's an awesome Granny...
    4x4mum

Answer by 4x4mum at 4:19 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• No one said just because you are a grandparent you are a babysitter. The question was how often do you watch them, most grandparents babysit because they prefer knowing their grandchild is spending time with family that loves them rather than a sitter or a day care. And it gives them a chance to spend time with their grandkids. You are making the assumption that all of us who have grandparents watch our children are forcing them to sit out on their lives, did you ever think maybe they want to watch our children?
    Anonymous

• My mom lives next door and watches them about 2 - 3 times a month for DH and I to go out. She would probably keep them more if I wanted her to. She'll keep an eye on the older ones while I run to the store whenever I ask, and sometimes my little one, too. My MIL is older and has hip problems, so she doesn't babysit, but if I needed her to watch the older boys she surely would.
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 4:24 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• My MIL watches the kids once a week b/c DH and I have band rehearsal.

My mom and dad watch them whenever they like, pretty much, LOL.

Most of the time if it's a weekend stay, they stay with my parents b/c MIL has a lot of obligations on the weekend that would make it hard for her, otherwise.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 4:24 PM on Apr. 13, 2009