At what age do kids stop putting everything in their mouths?

MoMMyto2971

Asked by MoMMyto2971 at 4:01 PM on Apr. 13, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I don't know my boys never had a problem with this. The only thing they put in there mouth is there blanket to go to sleep?!!!
    mama2twins07

Answer by mama2twins07 at 4:02 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Our 2 y/o boy still does, but not nearly as often of he used to. Mostly "new" things, and kinda w/o thinking about it.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 4:06 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• All kids have a non-nutritive sucking need until 18months. Some will stop a little later than this. Kids like to explore their world and putting things in their mouth is one way to do it. So, between 12 and 24 months is the time most stop.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:06 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I ask the same question a lot of the time. My youngest turned 2 back in January. He's doing better...but he still puts a lot of things in his mouth. He's a thumb sucker and I expect him to stick his thumb in him mouth...but he'll sit there sometimes with his fist in his mouth, or he'll chew on cars or paper...even his blankie. It drives me nuts. When I see him doing these things i just remind him to take it out of his mouth. I pray he outgrows this soon.
    boizmom

Answer by boizmom at 4:07 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• It could be a while. With my kids anytime they attempted to stick something in there mouth I pulled their hand away and said "ucky, yucky".. eventually all I would have to say is "ucky yucky" and they either spit it out, or stop before it gets to their mouth. I started doing that as soon as they were puting things in there mouth.. so around 6 mo.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 4:28 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• My son is 14 yrs old and still does at times. lol
    JCRestoredme

Answer by JCRestoredme at 6:08 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I'll let you know when my DH does... haha.
    Navymama

Answer by Navymama at 6:10 PM on Apr. 13, 2009