tanning bed rash

First of all, I know the risks i'm taking by tanning, and nobody's going to change my mind about tanning, so dont waste your time.

I started tanning last week, I think i've gone about 4 times so far. After the second time a red itchy rash showed up on the back of both upper arms. It's got little red bumps that turn white if squeezed/i put pressure on or around them. It goes away on it's own after a few days but when I tan again it comes right back.

I thought it might be that I didnt clean the bed well enough, so today when I tanned I scrubbed the crap out of it with a ton of the bed-cleaner, and the rash still came back.

Does anyone have any idea what this might be? TIA!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:09 PM on Apr. 13, 2009 in Health

• You could be allergic to the cleaner or your lotion if your using any. It could also be a burn your unaware of or acne from your pores opening and sweating plus lotion in them or the cleaner for the bed.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 4:10 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• are you using a tanning lotion when you tan? you could try a different lotion, or it could be the bed-cleaner you are allergic to. or since its just on your arms, maybe you sweat more there than anything and its a heat rash type thing. in that case i would take a small spray bottle of water with you in your bag (i have a small little bag w/all my tanning stuff in it) and kind of take a "mini shower" spray your arms off and towel them off then put on an after tanning lotion that way you get all the sweat off your arms before you put anything else on that will keep it in. or even the cleaner or tanning lotion if that is the case.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 4:13 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• This is a thought for you. I found that I was having a reaction to other people who have used the tingle lotions. Although the bed was cleaned properly, the lotion was still there somewhere. Maybe you should try a different salon in case it is the cleaning products though.
    Anonymous

• My daughter did this too. She never found the cause and finally decided to stop tanning. I've never had a problem, but I use a stand up bed. Maybe try that?
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 4:56 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• About a month ago i bought a new lotion and the first time I used it I got a rash on my arms and stomach. The second time I used it I got a rash all over my body. It was horrible. You could minorly allergic to your lotion or a chemical that they use to clean the bed. You can try another salon or lotion.
    frapanda

Answer by frapanda at 7:34 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Stop tanning? Those beds are a breeding ground for bacteria. You could also be allergic to the cleaners or lotions.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:33 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• i tan every year. every day for 4 months of every year. ive never had problems. until i started using a tingler everyday for a month. it'll make little white bumps. and theyll stay there until you dont use anything to tan for abut a week or two. lotion makes your skin more vulnerable to tan. but tinglers can make you splotchy and bumpy even after you wash them off. i just use curel to tan with. it works! and keeps my skin perfect! if your not using them, its probably a tanning bed fungus. yes its real. but no its not from peoples disgusting bodies. its something to do with the uv rays. but dont worry, it doesnt stay forever. or long at all. all you have to do is wash the area with the anti-dandruff shampoos because they have an anti fungal ingredient. if that doesnt work, they have a special lotion for it. its called ARREST sun spot treatment. its sold in most big tanning salons or online. if im no help, im really sorry =[
    erinlovescayden

Answer by erinlovescayden at 1:13 PM on Apr. 20, 2009