What is the big rush to wean our babies??

"Wean your baby from the bottle by the time they turn one"
"Wean your child from the pacifier before age one"
"Children should be sleeping through the night by 6 months or earlier"
"Teach your baby to fall asleep by themselves, otherwise they'll never learn. Don't rock them to sleep/nurse them to sleep/hold them until they fall asleep".

Whay is there such a rush to wean our babies? Is it just an American thing? Babies are only babies for such a short time...why should we parents spend that time TRAINING and WEANING them?

Moms taking bottles away and replacing with sippy cups by 6 months old, snatching pacifiers out baby's mouths..

I was so worried that my daughter would never sleep through the night. I bought all kinds of "baby sleep" books, trying to find the method that would work. Guess what? She started sleeping through the night on her own, without me having to train her.

How do you mothers feel?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:12 PM on Apr. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• We as a country are only one of a handfull that feel compelled to wean our children of everything so young. Bottle to sippy, which mind you is just as bad if not worse. Sleeping through the night has less to do with the infant and more to do with the inconvience it places on the parents, children will do it when they are biologically ready, for some that is as early as 2 months (lucky devils) and for others it could be 2 years old. But because the parent "need" thier sleep we allow them to CIO, sometimes for hours, all to meet our needs....shouldn't it be the other way around?

When people have children, it should no longer be about them, it is about the child....that doesn't mean we give up our lives, it means we adjust our lives to fit that of our children. But some parents just aren't willing to do that....sad.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 11:15 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I only agree with losing the bottle early, because of cavity issues. Other than that, I don't know.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:14 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I guess it is just trying to help make it easier but my son took hisself off of everything and slept on his own. I guess the whole bottle thing is cause if they get too attached then you will have a 3 year old like my nephew running around with a bottle in his mouth and screams when you take it away! Also the baby bottle tooth decay!
    annamcg18

Answer by annamcg18 at 4:15 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• They say that about the bottles and pacifiers to avoid teeth and gum issues. Constantly sucking on a pacifier will give your child an overbite or mess up the growth of the teeth. Bottles after a year are pointless because a child should be more independent and sippy cups are better for the teeth as if they are not sucking on them then nothing should be leaking unlike a bottle. Self soothing is part of development to let them know they can be alone and not always with your parents. You reassure them but let them be alone. As for sleeping all night, that happens when the baby is ready and not before. We can not control that. You try and wean your kids to help their development. They say to wean them by a year that doesn't mean it has to be done by 1 year but some where close to it. Seeing a 4 year old with a pacifier and bottle is crazy. It all depends if you care about your childs teeth and gums.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 4:17 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I'm not sure how much I buy into all of that. My daughter slept on her own. She only takes a pacifier at night and she drinks her whole bottle at a sitting and is done. (The concern with bottles is that they'll carry them around all day and sip on them causing tooth decay...but I really think the same could be true for a sippy cup full of sugary juice or milk) My daughter is 1 now and she simply doesn't drink enough out of a sippy cup. I'm concerned that if I wean her off the bottle, she won't get the liquids she needs in a day. I guess I'll just have to do it and see what happens. More than anything, I think, it is just easier to wean a baby than it is to wean a toddler....but they all get weaned eventually. I know no grown men walking around with their bottles and their pacifiers. =)
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 4:19 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Some of the things are for security and health. I hate seeing 5 year olds with pacifiers. In the big scheme, it's preference. Just go by your OWN mommy rules and you'll be fine!
    4theLoveofLovey

Answer by 4theLoveofLovey at 4:20 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I do think bottles should be weaned by one. I love nursing my daughter to sleep and will continue doing it as long as she wants. I remember how sad I was when I oldest decided one day he would not be rocked to sleep anymore, and how sad I was when my second could only sleep swaddled in his own bed and never wanted to co-sleep. I try not to force my children to grow up too fast, especially now that my last baby is 12 months old.
    Ashley53

Answer by Ashley53 at 4:24 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I understand bottles and pacifiers. I didn't "train" my dd to sleep through the night. She did that on her won. Some things are just unhealthy for a child if not done properly and some things are harder to wean from if done too late. So I try to keep a balance.
    Anonymous

• I gave my daughter a sippy at 1 because that's what my SIL did when her baby turned 1. But with my second child, my son, I didn't give 2 craps if he had a bottle for awhile. I finally took it away at 2 and a few months old. Who cares, he's my BABY :)
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 4:50 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• there is actually no proof yet that pacifiers cause a tooth problem or a speech problem so try again!
    Anonymous