My 2 year old son hates to have his teeth brushed.

My 2 yrs old son hates to have his teeth brushed. we've tried allowing him to do it himself. He gets the motion right but doesn't get anywhere near his teeth! One suggestion we've heard it to try an electric toothbrush but since he's quirky on noises, this may not help. Any ideas?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:12 PM on Apr. 13, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I use an electric toothbrush, but he still hates it exspecially the top ones
    NicholeAT

Answer by NicholeAT at 4:14 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• put music on, for one song he gets to "brush" his teeth for the next song mommy or daddy does it, or you can go first and tell him you are gonna let him go after you that way he can get all the spots you missed.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 4:15 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Brush your teeth in front of him and make it look like a lot of fun...then let him brush your teeth. Then maybe he'll come around to brushing his teeth. =)
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 4:15 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I brush my teeth at the same time and we do this little silly dance to it. I have a friend who does it while her child is sleeping. She does it before he wakes up in the morning, at nap time and then again after he falls asleep. She had a lot of problems with it and eventually, this was the only solution she found. But with my son, I just made it into a little game.
    DDry

Answer by DDry at 4:19 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Don't worry about him getting the "right" motions let him chew on the tooth brush when you are brushing your teeth. If you allow him to have fun it won't be a struggle as he get older. My dentist said if you are worried about how clean his teeth are just wipe them down with the wash cloth as soon as he get in the bath tub. But never force brushing because you could damage thier little teeth on accident.
    Philsgirl21

Answer by Philsgirl21 at 4:25 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Let him pick out an electric or musical tooth brush and have him brush his teeth while you brush yours.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 4:26 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• my 2 year old is having the same problem and out dentist said for now until he get the hang of it just let him take the tooth brush and rub it around in his mouth and just let him watch u when he brush
    forgivingmom

Answer by forgivingmom at 4:35 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Why is this an issue?......Don't you make him take a bath even if he doesn't want one? If he is dirty, you wash his face even if he screams, right?
    Our jobs as moms is to do things for our children that they cannot do for themselves. Lay him on the ground, or have someone hold him, and brush his teeth -- even if he pirches a giant fit!
    If you do it every single day, he will learn quickly that this is not something that you will compromise on.
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 5:11 PM on Apr. 13, 2009