How can people be accountable?

If they don't have to pay for the healthcare of their poor choices?

Researchers say obesity costs in the U.S. totaled up to $92.6 billion last year, and government- funded public insurers Medicare and Medicaid financed about half of those expenses.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20030515/obesity-costs-rival-smoking

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:26 PM on Apr. 13, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I got this from another question, and the link is from 2003. Does anyone know what the 2007, or 08 numbers are? OMG people are making poor food choices and the Government is picking up the tab? Who is responsible for whom?
    Anonymous

• People expect the gov't to pay their rent,buy their food,pay their utlitlies and you don't think they expect the gov't to pay for their medical? C'mon now, we both know the answer to that!
    Anonymous

• The government only believes in accountability when they are talking about paying your personal income taxes. All other areas are moot.
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 4:31 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• interesting. I actually never really realized how horrible most people eat until i started working an office job. Luckily, i live around the corner so i can go home & make myself something healthy for lunch. But, I was SO surprised to see that EVERYONE eats fast food for lunch. And i mean EVERY DAY! The last thing i wan to hear is someone complaining about there weight when ALL they do is eat crap. It's amazing what people choose to put in their diet, and then they complain about it. They want to put the blame on anything other than themselves. When they get sick & have all kinds of health problems, most deny that it had anything to do w/ their diet, they blame it on genetics. I know genetics plays a big roles though, but leading a healthy lifestyle can dramatically alter your helth for the better regardless of genetics.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 4:35 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• And its incredible to think it all the way thru, like the same folks don't have money to buy food, but they have money to buy smokes. They don't have money to buy their children good food, but they have money to buy alcohol. Poor choices in diet, and poor lifestyle choices cause diabetes, liver disease, kidney disease, std's, chest infections, sinus problems, vitamin deficiency, colon problems, heart attacks, and I'm talking about people that are my age!! Then b/c of the poor health, they cannot work. They cannot work, so they must continue as government dependent, food stamp dependent, etc.

Its a vicious cycle that perpetuates itself. Kinda like a hamster on a wheel.

lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 4:52 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Once the gov't holds itself responsible for the way they spend their money, then I think slowly, people will start to be accountable for themselves. The gov't has shown us that it doesn't matter what we do with our income, assistance or what ever, because they have driven us into a debt that we can't get out of. The only thing that will happen if people don't get healthcare from the gov't is that people will rack up shitloads of bills at hospitals and then not pay them. And maybe we could slow down the increase in population, because more people would think twice before having a child if they knew they had to pay for it.
    peppermintmocha

Answer by peppermintmocha at 4:57 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• This is an excellent question. Even if, say 1/3 of the overweight/obese population is that way because of disease and not laziness/poor food choices, there is still zero accountability.

It will only get worse with increased medical services being offered via the taxpayers.

Why do people think it's ok to get almost every meal out of a test tube?
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 5:12 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Which is why I have always favored a weight scale at the foodstamp office. Nobody in America is starving, if a kid in cambodia ate a whole BigMac the overwhelming calories on his body would throw him into shock. And we have Elementary kids that eat 2 at one sitting.
    Eating healthy isn't expensive, it's time consuming and people are lazy.
    akinbottom2

Answer by akinbottom2 at 5:17 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Eating healthy isn't expensive, it's time consuming and people are lazy.

Amen to this.

Anonymous

• Actually healthy food is a LOT more expensive than processed food. My whole grain pasta is TWICE as much as the other stuff. Fresh fruit and veggies are expensive compared to canned. I paid $4.45 for a little container of strawberries today, and those box meals (ALL processed unhealthy stuff, and I admit we eat them occasionally) are like 4 bucks for an entire meal.

Anyway, the biggest problem here is that many insurance companies don't cover prevention, so if you want to see a nutritionist or you want some sort of medical help to lose weight, they won't cover it... yet they eventually have to cover it because you have health problems due to being overweight.

Kind of like that they refuse to cover stuff to help smokers quit... yet eventually they pay much more for their healthcare.

Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 5:30 PM on Apr. 13, 2009