Low Iron!! What can this mean for me and baby?

I am 36 wks prego and having problems with keeping my iron up. I take my regular prenatal vitamins plus a prescribed iron supplement but it seems my iron just won't budge. I believe when I saw my doctor last week she said it was at a 8 point something and told me to start taking 2 of the iron supplements daily. I go back tomorrow so hopefully she will have some good news but I was wondering what can be or are some of the effects of going into labor with low iron levels? Could it possibly effect my baby? Or will it mainly effect my health?

ms-ambi

Asked by ms-ambi at 5:07 PM on Apr. 13, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Is she only taking it from a drop of blood from your finger? My son will register really low when taken from a finger prick. But, if the take blood from his arm and spin it, it will be fine. Maybe try it from your arm instead. The WIC lady tried to convince me that my son was anemic. I told her that he took vitamins and drank OJ and ate very high iron foods and wasn't. So, I took him to his Dr. and had them draw it and spin it. They reported back to WIC and informed her she was wrong. But, you could tell from looking that he wasn't anemic. He had coloring even in his lips and he wasn't tired.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:11 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• You'll be just fine, just keep trying to get iron in you.

Iron absorbed better when you have animal sources as well. So the iron pills will be more effective if you eat some beef, or even chicken, or eggs. Something that came from an animal. Vitamin C also helps iron absorb, so try to eat vitamin C when you're eating something with a lot of iron. Stay away from calcium when you're eating/taking iron because they "fight" and it's harder for the iron to absorb. Have calcium and different times of the day than you do iron.

GL!
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 5:13 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I'm anemic. It can cause low birth weight. But other then that, my last baby turned out perfect. I'm 8 months pregnant and the iron problems havent really affected baby. Just keep taking your iron supplement.
    Anonymous

• I have a question: do you eat/drink a lot of dairy. Take calcium? If you take calcium it can inhibit iron absorbtion... Low Iron can cause birth weight issues, and possible anemia in the baby, but it really makes you exhausted etc.

You also could have a tough time absorbing tablets. I do. I need to take capsules or liquids because tablets don't absorb right. Soft Gels are great too.

Floradix is an Iron supplement, liquid, that many anemic and pregnant women take that really helps with health and increasing iron.

Spinach is a great form of iron too! :) Green Leafy veggies :)
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 6:35 PM on Apr. 13, 2009