DH is joining the military...I need some advice!!!

My DH has been researching and talking with other friends about the military...he's visited recruiters and gotten all the information he would need...but is still extremely torn between two branches of the military. He doesn't know whether he'd rather go into the Marines or the Air Force. There is no question about him going because he has his heart set on leaving, but doesn't know which way to go. Anyone have any experience or advice that you could pass on about both branches?? Like I said, his heart is set so I dont need any advice on not joining..thats not an option :) Thank you!

CassiRae3

Asked by CassiRae3 at 5:14 PM on Apr. 13, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I was in the Air Force...loved it. I was in the medical field though. What do you want to know exactly???
    Dayija

Answer by Dayija at 5:16 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• He says he just wants to know what the lifestyles for each would be. What the differences there are between the two.
    CassiRae3

Answer by CassiRae3 at 5:20 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• marines are on the frontlines in iraq..id convice him to go airforce
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 5:22 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Yeah...mariens deploy a lot more than air force. Depending on your job in the AF you could deploy a lot but in my job and where I was stationed I might have deployed once the whole time I was there. What does he want to do???
    Dayija

Answer by Dayija at 5:25 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• My hubby is AF and has been for 12 years. We love it, its a great family life. My brother-in-law is in the Marines and has been for about 6 years. He has been to Iraq 3 times, for 8-12 months at a time, and is just getting back from this last one. He will probably get a few months home with the family at least. The Air Force tends to deploy less often, and for much shorter periods, usually 6-8 months at a time. The family life in the Air Force is much better according to my SIL. And there is a wider range of bases to choose from. Just tell him to try not to go in as a cop! They deploy more often and work horrible shifts. All of my friends husbands are cops. Any more questions, you can PM me.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 6:04 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• My husband is in the Army. His first choice was Air Force but they turned him down. The Air Force is a lot more family friendly.
    Omayra_M

Answer by Omayra_M at 6:36 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• My husband wanted to go into the Air Force. His best friend convinced him to go into the Marines. He's regretted that all his life.

Answer by gdiamante at 8:19 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• It would be better if you could join some groups that are specific to each branch of military he is considering so you can ask the members for their opinions and information.
    I am a Navy wife, but I wouldn't even be able to help other Navy wives because the career choice my husband made has him working landside and he ended up in Iraq for 3 deployments, Afghanistan once, and a deployment in Spain where he was sent to various places for missions. He has never had to be on a ship.
    When your husband is ready to enlist in the branch he chooses tell him to get every little thing in writing and signed. Some recruiters will fill signees butts up with cotton candy - telling them what they want to hear just to get them to sign on the dotted line. Many people who sign later find out that their recruiter lied to them.
    If your husband can find someone to go with him from that branch, that would be better.
    Best wishes!
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 10:24 AM on Apr. 14, 2009