getting a baby to poop

my daughter is a month old and for some reason she does not poop but maybe once a day or somedays she goes a whole day with out taking a poop. is this normal. the drs told me that as long as when she does poop that it is not hard marbles, hers is normal baby poop, please give advice.

mrswarner08

Asked by mrswarner08 at 5:17 PM on Apr. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Is she formula or breast feed? That can be the difference. My pedi told us that when breastfeeding she should be going several times a day but when formula feeding she should go at least once a day sometimes once every two days.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 5:19 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• So long as she is going at least once every 2 days, and its not hard little rocks, then she is fine. It really is a difference of breastfeeding or formula feeding - breast milk is a natural laxative and so breastfed babies poo more times in a day than a formula fed baby.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 5:21 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• she is formula fed we tried for over 2 weeks to breastfeed and then drs told me to go ahead and formula feed, well thank you and that makes me fee better
    mrswarner08

Answer by mrswarner08 at 5:23 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• On formula it is normal to poo every few days. For breastfed, they can go up to a week, and it still be normal. Just wait it out, and make sure she is eating well.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 5:31 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Yep, normal.
    Some babies poop many times each day. Some poop once every 4 or 5 days.
    Your doctor is right - as long as the poop isn't hard marbles or she isn't having to really push (and scream and cry) when she does poop, she's fine. Don't try to "make" her poop and certainly don't give her anything to force it. Most laxatives and other stimulates will actually make it harder for her own muscles to do the work.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:32 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• If she was constipated, you would know. We just had to switch to soy cause of milk allergies and it got my daughter so constipated that she would scream everytime she tried and when she did, they were hard little balls. She is okay now and pooping normal poop but believe me, you will know when she is constipated. hang in there mama.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 5:37 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I would listen to the Dr. if she isn't pooping hard marbles then she is dispelling the waste adequate to what she is taking in for nurishment.
    SheriSanchez

Answer by SheriSanchez at 6:53 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• as long as she isnt in pain or constipated, it's fine. my son is 9 months and only poops twice a week- on sunday & thursday. it's always been that way.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 8:04 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• The doctoes gave you dead-on good info. Go with it. DO NOTHING. She's FINE.

Answer by gdiamante at 8:12 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• My dd was the same way. It was horrible, she would scream for hours until she finally push out a little tiny poop. My dr said to give her a little pear juice, which really didn't help. I finally gave her some apple juice that was water down alot. She is now going everyday and is a very happy little one. Hopefully some of the advice here will help you. Trust your instincts, if you feel she is in pain then keep asking the dr about. I was told my dd had colic and it really turn out to be acid reflux.
    missiedoo

Answer by missiedoo at 8:40 PM on Apr. 13, 2009